Science and Society in the Middle East
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- Location – Beirut, Lebanon
- Dates – TBD
- Max Enrollment – 26
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – Yes
- Academic Area – Science and Society
Immerse yourself in a Middle Eastern experience like no other, exploring the amazing cultural diversity and history of Lebanon while studying efforts to address contemporary environmental challenges. Over the ages songs have praised the beauty of Lebanon’s Mediterranean coast, cedar-capped mountains and fertile valleys, but decades of regional and civil conflicts have complicated efforts to address acute environmental challenges that include saltwater intrusion, waste mismanagement, and deteriorating air quality. From a home base at the American University of Beirut, we will travel to some of the oldest trees in the world to discuss community-based conservation efforts, and visit a beautiful cave system to study groundwater systems. We will explore rain-fed agriculture, winemaking, and much more—all the while enjoying the great cultural and culinary experiences Lebanon has to offer.
Get a feel for what it’s like to be a student on the AUB campus...
- Learn about conservation challenges while under cedar trees that are over a thousand years old.
- Meet winemakers from where some of the oldest wines were made, and learn about rainfed agriculture.
- Learn about karst groundwater systems while visiting Jeita Cave which was nominated for the world's top wonders.
- Visit Byblos, one of the oldest cities in the world, and enjoy a cultural day while sampling your favorites of Lebanese cuisine.
- Visit a refugee camp and learn about what refugee life means to the refugee and the host community.
- Environmental Justice in Indigenous Ecuador (Summer Abroad)
- Tanzania—Culture, Wildlife, and Activism (Summer Abroad)
- GIS in the Land of the Thunder Dragon (Summer Abroad)
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Water Management in a Mega-City (Seminars Abroad)
- Other Programs in Ecological Management and Restoration
- Other Programs in the Middle East