Genetics—The Global Language of Biology
Cambridge, United Kingdom; Stockholm, Sweden
Arrive Date: August 8, 2020 End Date: September 5, 2020
This program takes you on an exciting trip in two European countries to visit sites ranging from historical landmarks to institutions conducting cutting edge research in genetics. Your studies will begin in England at the University of Cambridge, which is steeped in the history of genetics. Next you will fly to Stockholm, Sweden, which hosts the Nobel Prize. This “genetics immersion” program takes a research and molecular science-based approach. The program will broaden your life and scientific views and increase your knowledge about opportunities to further study/work abroad, all while you enjoy an array of academic and national cultures.
Tutoring Opportunity: Students who have already taken BIS 101 or a similar genetics course are eligible to apply as tutors: two positions available. Tutors take courses MCB 197T & MCB 198. Interested students should contact the instructor during the fall quarter 2019 for more information. Enrollment as a tutor is by consent of instructor.
The Onsite Coordinator abroad will be Capt. Ingemar Olsson, who has extensive travel experience and foreign language proficiency.
This program has been nominated for an Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Erin Schlemmer
Biological Sciences (BIS) 101. Genes and Gene Expression (4 units)
Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
Prerequisite Note: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program.
- Live and study at the University of Cambridge, where Watson stayed during his work on DNA with Crick.
- Visit a variety of academic and research institutions, and attend lectures by leading scientists.
- In Sweden's capital, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, attend class at Stockholm University and visit the sites of the annual Nobel Prize ceremonies.
- Live on a boat hotel in the historic center of Stockholm.
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- Life Sciences in Japan (Summer Abroad)
- Bio Sci 2A in the Emerald Isle (Summer Abroad)
- Bio Sci 2B in Dublin (Summer Abroad)
- Bio Sci 2C in Edinburgh (Summer Abroad)
- Statistics for Biological Sciences (Summer Abroad)
- Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles (Summer Abroad)
- Pediatric Health Internships in Bolivia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Primary Care and Rural Medicine Internships in Bolivia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Pediatric Care and Reproductive Health Internships in Ghana (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Public Health and Rural/Urban Medicine Internships in India (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Remote Island Medicine Internships in the Philippines (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Healthcare Challenges Internships in South Africa (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Hospital Medicine and Infectious Disease Internships in South Africa (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Holistic Healing Internships in Hawaii (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Immigrant and Refugee Health Internships in California (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Other Summer Programs in Europe