Genetics—The Global Language of Biology
This program takes you on an exciting trip in the United Kingdom to visit sites ranging from historical landmarks to institutions conducting cutting edge research in genetics. Your studies will begin first in London, then onto Cambridge, which is steeped in the history of genetics. This “genetics immersion” program takes a research and molecular based approach. The program will broaden your life and scientific views, and help prepare you to be international scientists and citizens.
Tutoring Opportunity: Students who have already taken BIS 101 or a similar genetics course are eligible to apply as tutors: two positions available. Tutors take courses MCB 197T & MCB 198. Interested students should contact the instructor during the fall quarter 2020 for more information. Enrollment as a tutor is by consent of instructor.
The Onsite Coordinator abroad will be Capt. Ingemar Olsson, who has extensive travel experience and foreign language proficiency.
This program has been nominated for an Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education.
- Live and study at the University of Cambridge, where Watson stayed during his work on DNA with Crick.
- Visit a variety of academic and research institutions, and attend lectures by leading scientists.
- Stay In South Kensington, Imperial College London.
What Students Are Saying
- "The program exceeded my original expectations, and I believe it’s mostly due to the amazing connections Dr. Kimbrell has with people everywhere we went. There were many opportunities and experiences that (without her) wouldn’t have been possible."
- “This experience was much more than simply absorbing genetics – tours, lectures and labs have shown me the diversity of professions and influence that genetics has. I feels so much better equipped with a toolbox of understanding genetics and teaching, going into the workforce.”
- “Cheers to an awesome adventure, and for leaving me speechless. This trip taught me more than 20 years of life experiences have.”
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- History of Cancer (Summer Abroad)
- Microbiology in Europe's Capital—Brussels (Summer Abroad)
- Life Sciences in Japan (Summer Abroad)
- Bio Sci 2A or 2B in Ireland (Summer Abroad)
- Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles (Summer Abroad)
- Summer Abroad Internships in Global Health
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities