Funding Your Study Abroad Experience
When selecting your study abroad program, consider the program fees carefully to determine which costs are included and which you will have to pay directly. For example, airline costs are rarely included, and meal coverage, if included, may be partial.
Prepare a comprehensive and realistic budget beforehand, so that your study abroad experience is not disrupted by financial concerns.
If you are eligible for financial aid (grants, loans, scholarships) for a given term on campus, typically your aid can be applied to study abroad, and your financial aid package may be adjusted according to the cost of the program. Always consult with the Financial Aid Office before committing to study abroad.
Many scholarships and awards are available for study abroad, including ones that are specific for certain program types. Take advantage of the workshops offered by UC Davis Study Abroad on how to write a successful scholarship application.
If you need to cancel your enrollment at any time, please be aware of the policies and procedures that apply. Depending on when you cancel, you may be obligated to pay the full fees for the program, including fees for reserved accommodations. See the cancellation/withdrawal policy for more information.
- Seminars Abroad Fees
The total cost of participation in Seminars Abroad depends upon the program you choose. The total program cost is divided into three separate fees: UC Davis Tuition and Fees (no additional Tuition and Fees to participate in Seminars Abroad), Seminars Abroad Fee, and Accommodations and Services Abroad Fee. There are some costs that apply to all programs and other costs that vary depending on the program.
Handling your finances for your Seminars Abroad program is pretty simple, because the fees and payments process works just like it does for a regular quarter here at UC Davis, and you use all the same tools to manage your finances.
To plan accurately for your time abroad, there are a few things you need to know about how fees and payments work for Seminars Abroad.
- Your fees (regular UC Davis Tuition and Fees, Seminars Abroad Fee, and Accommodations and Services Abroad Fee) will be posted to your student account. You’ll be able to view your fees in SISWeb and pay them through MyBill or at the UC Davis Cashier’s Office.
- Financial aid funds will be disbursed into your student account as usual. You can work directly with the Financial Aid Office to request additional aid if you need it for the program.
Follow these steps below to handle your fees for your Seminars Abroad program:
- Find out what your fees are: First, you can review the “Cost” section of your Seminars Abroad program page to find out what fees will be billed to your student account and what expenses you will pay out of pocket.
- Find out when your fees are due.
- Make payments for fees: You can make an online payment for your Seminars Abroad program through the MyBill system or visit the Student Accounting website to learn about other options for making payments. Contact Student Accounting or the Cashier’s Office if you have questions about how to pay your bill. More information is available in the next section.
- Verify that your fees are paid by the fee payment deadline: Once you have completed the above steps, be sure to check your student account at SISWeb to verify all your fees are paid by the fee payment deadline.
- Making Payments for Seminars Abroad Programs
All fees are due March 15th for Spring Seminars programs and September 15th for Fall Seminars programs (including Antarctica).
Note: The $300 non-refundable deposit is due before submitting your enrollment in your Study Abroad account.
- Payment website
- Click on "Make a Payment"
- Click on "Pay"
- Select payment option and proceed with the payment
Note: Payments can be made from your checking account or credit card. Credit card payments are accepted through MyBill only and a 2.85% service fee (a minimum fee of $3) will apply to all credit card payments. This fee is non-refundable and processed through a third-party: TouchNet PayPath.
Paying by Mail
Make the check or money order payable to UC Regents, include the student's UC Davis Student ID number on the check and send to:
Mailing Address for USPS:
Cashier & Payment Solutions Office
University of California
PO Box 989062
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062
Send UPS/FedEx To:
Cashier & Payment Solutions Office
1200 Dutton Hall
One Shields Ave
Davis, California 95616
Paying in Person
Please take your payment to the Cashier’s Office in Dutton Hall. Payments can be made by check or money order, payable to UC Regents.
- Financial Aid and Scholarships for Seminars Abroad Programs
More information about Financial Aid for Study Abroad can be found on the UC Davis Financial Aid and Scholarships website
Typically the financial aid that you receive on campus can be applied to study abroad, and your aid may be adjusted to account for added program costs, such as airfare and local housing costs.
General Points on Financial Aid for Study Abroad
Timelines for study abroad are such that your adjusted financial aid package may not be finalized until late in the process, so it is important to stay on top of things. You should:
- Inform yourself beforehand of all of the steps involved
- Submit materials, including the FAFSA or Dream Act Application, on time and fully completed
- Master the options and limits of aid in your particular case
- Ask the Financial Aid Office informed questions
- Follow up to ensure your aid is disbursed
Keep in mind that there are scholarships and awards that are specifically for study abroad, and the application process may be easier than you imagine.
TIP: Print a copy of the program cost page and bring it with you to an advising appointment with a Financial Aid Officer (contact our office for more information).
Even if you do not normally qualify for financial aid while on campus, you might qualify for aid for study abroad, depending on additional costs and your particular situation.
If you are depending on aid to pay for airfare, STA travel has a program, which allows you to purchase tickets and defer most of the cost until the quarter/session begins. Usually you will get the best price if you purchase your tickets as soon as your program is confirmed.
TIP: Check our website for updates on Awards and Scholarships. Some programs may have specific scholarships for that program alone. Also be sure to check out the UC Davis Financial Aid and Scholarships external scholarship compilation.
- Budgeting for your Seminars Abroad Program
- Use this budget worksheet to create an estimated budget for your program and determine your total costs as well as funding resources.