Header Image, UCEAP

Information About Davis

Davis Resources

Upon Arrival

All new international students must attend the orientation program coordinated by Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS). This orientation will provide you with important information about immigration and visa regulations as well as SISS services. The orientation program also helps acquaint international students with the educational and cultural environment at UC Davis, the town of Davis, and provide an opportunity to meet other new international students.

Davis Maps & Transportation

  • Campus
  • Street
  • Getting to Davis - Directions to UC Davis campus from airports and surrounding areas
  • Davis Airporter - Door to door airport service to and from Sacramento or San Francisco International Airport.
  • Unitrans - Student run buses that can get you anywhere in Davis

Course Registration

All students at UC Davis register for classes electronically via the web-based registration system SISWEB. Registration takes place during two intervals called “passes.” The two-pass registration system ensures that all students have access to the courses that are most critical to their curricula, and that access to registration is distributed fairly throughout the student body.


Making Yourself at Home

  • Craigslist - lists, among other things, postings for rooms and apartments for rent (make sure to search for "Davis") OR you can search for furniture and bicycles
  • Community Housing Listing: posts by members of the UC Davis community for empty rooms and apartments
  • IKEA: most of the apartment’s students rent are unfurnished so you can go to IKEA to pick up some cheap furniture and household supplies
  • Bike Barn: Davis is known for its biking and its bicyclists. Biking is the easiest way to get around our large campus and our town. The bike barn has bike auctions twice a year and is a great place to get your bike fixed

FAQs — UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP)

Program Questions

  • How do I use the Search tool on the UCEAP website?
  • The “Find A Program” feature provides a helpful way of narrowing down your options by geographic region, field of study, or experience type. There are many ways to access this tool.  However, clicking on the Menu bar on the right-hand side of each UCEAP page is an easy way to find it. If you are looking for “field of study” and don’t see your major listed, it’s because UC Davis is unique among the other UC’s and the listed options are generic to the UCs. We have majors that other campuses don’t have, like International Agricultural Development, Landscape Architecture and Design, to name a few. If you don’t see you major listed search for programs using related fields of study.  You can also meet with an adviser at UC Davis who can provide more personalized guidance in program selection. Once you’ve done the initial search, be sure to review the program eligibility requirements. Class standing requirements signify the number of units you will need to have completed by the program's start. Minimum requirements vary, but are either sophomore class standing, 45 units completed; junior class standing, 90 units completed; or senior class standing, 135 units completed.
  • On the UCEAP website, are “Fall”, “Spring” and “Year” the same as UC Davis dates?
  • Not necessarily. Pay close attention to the estimated dates that can be found under “program details” on the left-hand side of each program page. Because most foreign universities run on a semester system, “Fall” and “Spring” don’t just mean fall and spring quarter here at Davis.

    “Fall” usually means a semester that starts in mid-August and ends in December. Studying away fall semester typically translates to an extra five weeks when compared to the quarter term, and extra units earned! In most cases, you will be absent for fall quarterat UC Davis and return in time for winter quarter.

    “Spring” usually means a semester that starts in January or mid-February and ends sometime in May or June. You will typically misswinter and spring quartersat UC Davis. There are, however, several winter and spring quarter options abroadand a sprinkle of programs with wonky academic calendars so look closely at the calendar. Some important exceptions include a few programs in Spain, Germany, Taiwan and Japan.

    This is not true for every program, so look at the calendar. Important exceptions include several programs in Spain, Germany, Taiwan and Japan, amongst others.
  • Does UCEAP have summer programs?
  • Yes, UCEAP does! The easiest way to find them all in one place is to select the “Summer” button under the “Term” filter through the "Find a Program” tool.

    Summer programs can range from an international summer school with many course options available to programs with pre-set course offerings. Intensive language, internship, and laboratory research programs are also available.

    Make sure to not overlook the duration of the program, as UCEAP Summer programs can oftentimes run longer in length (6-9 weeks) than UC Davis Summer Abroad programs (4 weeks). They also offer variable number of units, whereas all UC Davis Summer Abroad programs offer 8 units (except the internships, for 6).

  • Can I intern, volunteer, or do lab research with UCEAP?
  • Every program has different parameters for these opportunities.

    Some UCEAP programs revolve around a required internship, research, or volunteer opportunity. Others have the option of adding these elements on top of your coursework. Oftentimes you need to take your own initiative to find an internship in the local community in the same way you would here at UC Davis. In some locations (e.g. Chile, Mexico, or Shanghai), the study center can help set you up with an internship or volunteer opportunity.

    When using the “Find a Program” tool, each program will have some quick eligibility details. From those details “Experience Type” may list “Internship” if that is an option for that program. Make sure to look on the program page for more details. Some programs that have available internship opportunities will have “Internship” as an available tab under “Program Details” for additional information.
  • How do I know the exact dates of my program?
  • Most UCEAP programs are based around the calendars of foreign universities. As you must apply to programs so far in advance, oftentimes the official calendars are not yet posted.

    To get a good idea of what the program dates will be, go to the link, “Dates and Eligibility” under “Program Details” on the left-hand side of the program page. Keep in mind that these dates are only an estimation of time, and the official dates will be available much later.

    You can expect your program calendar to be uploaded a few months before the program start date (well after the application period). For those that have already enrolled in a program through UCEAP, do not purchase a flight until your official program calendar is posted. More information will be available to you as you move through the enrollment process.
  • What is an ILP? How about a pre-ILP?
  • ILP stands for “Intensive Language Program”. You will find this option for programs where you will be taking coursework in foreign languages. This is language-intensive training to strengthen your language ability before entering into a university classroom. Students have reported local professors can have regional accents, speak quickly, or use local jargon, all of which can pose a challenge to non-native speakers. The ILP will prepare you for this.

    Most ILPs are mandatory, but some programs have optional ILPs. In these circumstances, UC Davis Study Abroad strongly encourages you to attend these ILPs. They are not only very helpful but also provide a framework of support with other UC friends and a time to familiarize yourself with your host country before starting classes at your university.

    An optional pre-ILP exists in some countries, for students that don’t quite meet the language requirement (but are close) or really want a lot more practice to strengthen their language skills. It will bring them up to speed with the other students in time for the ILP.

Academic Questions

  • How do I get major or minor credit on UCEAP?
  • Before Departure

    Every UCEAP program has different types of course offerings; some have limited options or are pre-set for you, but most programs allow you to select from a wide variety of courses offered by the host university.

    At the time of application, it is not always possible to tell exactly what courses will be offered the following academic year. You should use the current course listings on the host university website, as well as descriptions of past courses taken in the MyEAP Course Catalog, to determine if this university has sufficient offerings in your subject area. Reference the “Academics” link on the left-hand side of your program details section for resources on identifying courses.

    Academic Planning Form

    As part of your UCEAP application, you will be asked to fill out an Academic Planning Form (APF). This form is an opportunity for you to discuss the courses you plan to take abroad with your major/minor advisor.

    The Academic Planning Form is not a course registration form; it is simply a tool to help you explore with your major advisor the types of courses you should be looking for when the time comes to register for your courses abroad. Despite what coursework you plan to take abroad, it is mandatory that the APF is signed by your major advisor. However, we strongly recommend that students meet with additional advisors if they are seeking credit outside of their major coursework. For instance, if you want to discuss credit to your minor, have your minor advisor review the form with you as well. This is to ensure you have discussed your plans and the possibility to get credit towards that area while you are abroad.

    At the time you are required to register for classes (this can be anywhere from a month before departure to a week after your arrival), you should also be in touch with your academic advisor at that time. If a course you planned to take isn’t offered, or you see another course available you’d prefer, you should contact your advisor via email for some feedback on whether or not that new course might suffice.

    While Abroad
    Make sure you save ALL of your syllabi and coursework from abroad. If you are registering for courses after departure, see the above paragraph regarding course registration.

    Upon Return

    Upon return, grades can take up to 90 days to transfer back. You will see the courses listed on your UC Davis transcript and your corresponding UC grades at that time. To secure major or minor credit, you should take the syllabus and coursework of the completed class to your department advisor and proceed with their process of obtaining credit.

    UC Davis Study Abroad recommends saving all your coursework, written assignments, syllabi, and textbooks or reading lists to present to your department upon return. These assignments oftentimes must be translated if you wish to receive credit.
  • How do I get GE credit on UCEAP?
  • GE credit is not guaranteed and cannot be pre-approved. Upon return from your program, you must petition through the UC Davis Study Abroad office. UC Davis Study Abroad recommends you show course descriptions to your dean’s office prior to departure for advice on what may or may not be successfully approved. However, it is important to note that this is not the pre-approval and is only advice to help you choose courses with the best chances of approval.

    During the petition process, you will need the course description, syllabus, and completed coursework, in addition to the completed petition. If you are looking for writing credit, the instructor abroad must sign the 2nd page of the petition.

    To begin the petition process, or to see a list of pre-approved courses from previous years, see: Academics Credit.
  • How and when do I register for my classes abroad?
  • For every program, registering for classes will happen differently. Most programs, you will register for classes anywhere from one month before departure (online) to a week after arrival (on campus during orientation week).

    The System-wide office in Goleta will be in touch with you via email regarding registering for courses when the time comes.
  • Can I take classes Pass/No pass on UCEAP?
  • Pass/No Pass options vary depending on your program, but in general, students may only take 1/3 of courses for P/NP credit. Please refer to the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad for more information. However, if you are hoping to get credit within your department, you must be aware of their rules. Do not take a class P/NP if your department or Dean’s office requires the course to be taken for a letter grade.

    Also, remember that the P/NP option must be noted on the Study List at the time of enrollment or petitioned during the normal petition period. However, the P/NP is not allowed for:

    -  Intensive Language Program (ILP) courses, unless the courses are offered on the P/NP basis only
    -  Special study courses (independent study, research, or internships) when the particular program requires a letter grade
    -  The language instruction portion of short-term language and culture programs.                                                                       
    -  See the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad for more information.
  • Do the classes I take abroad affect my UC GPA?
  • Yes. Courses taken abroad will be listed on your UC Davis transcript and factored into your UC GPA.

    If you fail a class abroad, it will show up on your UC Davis transcript. Oftentimes, you will not be able to retake the course here at Davis because the same course is not offered.

Financial Questions

  • How do I find my program’s budget?
  • Specific budgets for a program are oftentimes not posted until after the initial enrollment period. To get a good idea of the costs and what to anticipate, click on the “Cost” tab on the left-hand side of the program details page.  It is important to note that the initial cost of the program does not include UC campus fees, graduate student fees, or tuition for non-California residents. It is also wise to add about 10% on top to account for inflation to be safe.

    To include the statuses not listed in the initial program cost, you can try the “Customize your Estimate” tool towards the bottom of the Cost page to get a more accurate estimate. The “Customize your Estimate” tool provides an estimated cost according to the UC Campus, California residency, class standing, and package status you choose.

    Once your program budget has been finalized, it will appear in the “finances” section of your MyEAP account.
  • Does Financial Aid go with me on UCEAP? How do I apply for it?
  • Financial aid does go with you. However, it may look different depending on what program you choose. Your package may expand if the program is more expensive than your time at UC Davis; it may be reduced during your time abroad if your program is less expensive than being at UC Davis.

    Once you decide on a program, print out the budget (file pathway described in the question above) and meet with a financial aid officer at UC Davis Study Abroad or the Financial Aid office. There is no additional application you need to fill out for Financial Aid; UC Davis Study Abroad will be in touch with the financial aid office about participating students and their programs, and you will be packaged accordingly. Visit Financial Aid for more information, and use "contact an expert" if you would like to contact an adviser directly.
  • Are there scholarships available?
  • Yes. On the UCEAP website, you can click the Menu bar on the right-hand side of any UCEAP page. From there, you will need to select the “Student Resources” tab and click the “Paying for Study Abroad” link. There will be an additional “Scholarships” link on the left-hand side of that page. You can also check the Scholarships & Awards Tab on the UC Davis Study Abroad website. Make sure you also check with your academic department, as some departments offer scholarships for their students. Be aware, most scholarship deadlines are early!
  • Are there any fees and payments that I should know about?
  • UCEAP fees vary by program. For specific budget/payment instructions, please see the instructions on how to find your budget under the question “How do I find my program’s budget?”  

Enrollment Questions

  • How do I apply for a program?
  • Once you have decided on a program you would like to apply for, you should visit the ‘Apply Now’ link on the upper right-hand corner of the UCEAP website and make your MyEAP account.

    After submitting your application through the MyEAP link, make sure to read the campus-specific application instructions for UC Davis. You will need up upload your Academic Planning form to your MyEAP account and click on the UC Davis application link that will be provided in the ‘Instructions’ tab on the MyEAP application. From there, fill out that campus application. You will need to ‘Submit’ on each application portal in order to be consider fully submitted in your enrollment.

    Be aware that both application portions must be fully submitted electronically by the deadline in order for you to be eligible. If you are experiencing any confusion on whether or not your applications were successfully submitted, you can feel free to contact the UCEAP office through UC Davis Study Abroad, and we can often double-check that for you.
  • How do I find the application deadlines for the program? I don’t see them on the UCEAP website.
  • UCEAP deadlines vary by campus so you will find them on the campus website. Visit our Deadlines page to find your program. Be aware, program deadlines are sometimes up to a year in advance of your program.
  • Is the application just online or do I need to turn in anything to the UC Davis Study Abroad Office?
  • If you finish your online applications and hit “Submit,” and "submit your enrollment" for both MyEAP and UC Davis, your application is complete. Be sure to read the section "Instructions for UC Davis Students" on your MyEAP online application instructions to clarify what needs to be included.
  • I’m not planning to get major credit while abroad. Do I still have to meet with my major advisor to apply to the program?
  • Yes. Every student must complete the Academic Planning Form which is signed by your major advisor. While you may not anticipate getting major credit, UC Davis Study Abroad wants to make sure students know what classes they might be missing while abroad, and if there is anything they need to do before or after their time abroad when it comes to rearranging their academic schedule. This is true for minors as well. 
  • Where can I get an official transcript? Am I allowed to open it?
  • You can get a physical copy of an official transcript from the Registrar’s office, in the third floor of Dutton Hall. The envelope will say “unofficial if opened”; go ahead and open it, as you will likely need to make photocopies for your application.

    For an electronic unofficial transcript, you will need to login to ‘myucdavis’. Once logged in, you can click on the “Academics” tab located at the top of the page. Click the link for “Student Records”. From there, be sure to click the “Academics” link once again–this one is located above your picture and next to the tab that says, “General Info”. Then you have the option to select ‘Unofficial Transcript’.
  • Where can I get a passport?
  • The ARC Business Center has passport services. You can also apply for a passport through the Department of State Passport Services. If you are even considering studying abroad, it’s best to get your passport as soon as possible. Most programs require a photocopy of your passport as part of the application, and passports can take a couple months to process.
    You may also apply for a passport at approved acceptance facilities. More information about obtaining a passport.
  • I don’t meet the GPA requirement for the program. Can I still apply?
  • No, you are not eligible for the program so your application will not be selected. If you feel you deserve special consideration based on specific circumstances, contact your UC Davis country advisor before the program deadline to inquire if a waiver could be arranged for you.
  • I missed the application deadline for my program. Can I still apply?
  • UC Davis Study Abroad generally does not accept applications after the program deadline. However, if you would like to apply to a program and realize the deadline has passed, you may ask and UC Davis Study Abroad will let you know on a case-by-case basis whether or not we can accept late applications. You will be required to meet with a program advisor if this is the case.
  • Does my application require a statement of purpose or Letter of Recommendation?
  • Application requirements will vary between programs. Please follow the requirements on the Instructions Tab of your MyEAP online application.

    Here are some tools, if your application requires these additional documents:

    Tips for Requesting a Letter of Recommendation
    Guidelines for UCEAP Application Essay/ Statement of Purpose


Post-Enrollment Questions

  • I applied over a month ago and still haven’t heard anything. When can I expect to hear back?
  • All students should receive a notification email From UC Davis Study Abroad within four weeks of their program application deadline. If you turned in your application before the application deadline, more time may elapse before hearing from us. Feel free to contact eapassistant@ucdavis.edu if you have any questions about the status of your application.
  • What do I need to turn into UC Study Abroad and what do I need to turn into the UCEAP Systemwide office in Goleta?
  • If selected, you will receive a Nomination Email from the UC Davis Study Abroad office. This email will contain information about the pre-departure orientation, post enrollment items, their deadlines, and their required mode of submission.

    Shortly afterward, you will receive a Welcome email from the UCEAP System-wide office in Goleta. From then you will periodically receive emails from the UCEAP system-wide officeSoon after your Pre-Departure Checklist will appear under the “pre-departure items” section in your MyEAP online account. Each item on these checklists will list whom/where each specific item must be turned in. Most items on this checklist will need to be submitted directly to the UCEAP System-wide office in Goleta or your host institution, not turned into the UC Davis Study Abroad.
  • How do I apply for a visa?
  • Instructions will be listed on your Pre-Departure Checklist on the UCEAP website. If you have any questions in applying for the visa, email your Program Advisor at the UCEAP Systemwide office in Goleta. Do not email your regional advisor at UC Davis Study Abroad; UC Davis Study Abroad does not advise for the visa process.

    Many visas may require an official acceptance letter from your host institution abroad in order to apply for your passport. If this is the case, these letters will be mailed to UC Davis Study Abroad and you will be notified when they arrive so you can pick them up.

  • When can I buy my flight?
  • Do not purchase your flight until your official program calendar is posted and you are notified to do so by your Program Advisor at UCEAP.
  • Will I get a pre-departure orientation?
  • Yes. Students leaving for winter, fall, or year-long programs will have a pre-departure orientation in late April or early May. Spring and southern-hemisphere Year students will have an orientation in late October or November.

    The Pre-Departure Orientation is an opportunity for you to meet other students in your program and hear from returnees who did the program, along with an overview of important logistic and cross-cultural information. You are required to attend and if you have a conflict, let eapassistant@ucdavis.edu know right away.

  • How do I find out about other students participating in my program?
  • After you’re selected for participation, you will be required to fill out a form asking if you would like your information to be shared with other students in your program. If you mark ‘Yes’ at this time, you will be put in touch with other students who applied to programs in your country who also marked ‘Yes’ in this form.

    If you mark ‘no’, your information will not be shared, and you will have the opportunity to meet the other program participants at the pre-departure orientation.

  • My PASS Time is coming up on SISWEB for next quarter but I will be abroad. Do I register for classes even though I will be abroad?
  • No, do not register for classes. We know it feels scary, but just let the PASS time go by. You will be coded for study abroad at the registrar’s office before you depart, and it will cause confusion and delays if your record shows you registered for classes during the time you will be abroad.

    While abroad, however, when your PASS time comes up for the quarter you’ll be returning to Davis, make sure you register.
  • I am no longer able to go on my program. How do I withdraw?
  • If you no longer plan to study abroad, you must email your UC Davis Study Abroad country advisor as soon as possible. You must meet with your advisor and fill out a cancellation form in person in order to successfully withdraw. This is the only pathway for program withdrawal, and failure to turn in required documents or communicate your desire to withdraw will not exempt you from withdrawal fee penalties.

    Programs have withdrawal deadlines of April 1st, May 1st, or November 1st. Failure to withdraw before these dates will result in a $500 withdrawal fee and sometimes additional program-specific fees.