The Global Learning Hub is committed to promoting access to study, work, intern and volunteer opportunities for LGBTQIA+-identified students. Participation in global learning can be a great way to explore a passion, enhance your resume and connect with global communities. It can also be an opportunity to explore how LGBTQIA+ identities are treated in different or similar global learning environments.
The Global Learning Hub has partnered with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual + Resource Center to provide support and resources for LGBTQIA+-identified students participating in global learning opportunities.
Before you decide on a global learning opportunity, research potential challenges and consider what support is available in that global learning environment. Generally, acceptance and support of LGBTQIA+ issues is increasing in the U.S. and abroad, but intolerance still exists in laws, cultures and individuals. For a more positive and safe experience, research the following questions:
- What is the tolerance level in the location you are interested in?
- What are the local laws and customs regarding the LGBTQIA+ community?
- Are there particular cultural norms or expected behaviors?
- What resources and support are available in the location you are interested in?
The following resources can help you make informed decisions regarding your global learning experience:
- Diversity Abroad - LGBTQ+ Students Abroad
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual + Resource Center
- LGBTQIA+ Resource Center – LGBTQIA+ Ally Tips
- LGBTQIA+ Resource Center – LGBTQIA+ Interactive Map
- NASPA Gender and Sexuality Knowledge Community - State-by-State Resource Guide for Gender and Sexual Inclusivity
- UCEAP: LGBTIQ Community
- U.S. State Department – LGBTI Travel Information