First-Year Seminars—Global Learning
First-Year Seminars are an exciting program of small, innovative classes that reflect a variety of intellectual interests. Limited to 19 students each, these unique courses promote critical thinking and community.
Global Learning Seminars are First-Year Seminars that will give you a chance to explore cultural diversity or learn about global challenges and how they are being addressed. You will also develop awareness and critical thinking skills that will help you thrive in an interconnected world.
Global learning seminars are credit-bearing classes (1-2 units) that are either letter graded or Pass/No Pass. You must sign up for them in schedule builder/ SISWEB like your other courses.
Global Seminars provide important opportunities for you to:
- Build Global Awareness
- Examine actions and relationships that influence global systems from multiple perspectives, analyzing how complex systems impact you and others
- Embrace Diversity
- Explore complex dimensions of diversity, equity and inclusion around the world, including language, culture and identity
- Act Globally
- Create strategies to apply knowledge, skills, and abilities to collaboratively address global challenges, locally and beyond.
Global Learning First-Year Seminars offered in Fall 2022:
- Global Learning: Medicinal Plants Around the World, 1 unit, Mondays 4:10–5 p.m.
- Global Learning: Urban Food and Sustainability, 2 units, Wednesdays, 8–9:50 a.m.
Search for these global learning first year seminars and more on the seminar schedule page.
First-Year Aggie Connections
Fall 2022 Registration – Now Open!
First Year Aggie Connections groups together up to 25 students together based on shared purpose, interest, or theme. Connections meet regularly for one academic quarter and are led by staff or faculty facilitators who are passionate about the themed topics.
Most connections are social opportunities and do not bear academic credit; a few connections offer one unit of academic credit for participation.
Globally-focused Aggie Connections this you can join this fall include:
- Building Global Skills for a Connected World, Tuesdays, 10–10:50 a.m.
- Your Story, Your Strengths: Intercultural Skills for Career and Life Success, Thursdays 4:10–5:00 p.m.
- Aggies in Any Language, Mondays, 2:10–3:00 p.m.
- Who Are You?: Exploring Identity and Diversity, Mondays, 2:10–4:00 p.m.
- The BTS Way: Leading with Humility and Authenticity to Change the World, Tuesdays, 5:10–6:00 p.m.
- Your Turn: How Would You Solve Climate Change? Tackle Climate Change Through Learning and Modeling Solutions, Tuesdays, 4:10–5:00 p.m.
- Investing to Change the World, Thursdays, 4:10–5:00 p.m.
- Dreaming Up New Worlds In Community With African American and African Studies, Wednesdays, 4–5:30 p.m.
- Exploring Social Justice Through Data, Mondays, 3:10–4 p.m.
There are many more Aggie Connections that relate to global learning, diversity, and identity. Click the button below to see all offerings.