Animal and Zoological Management
Port Douglas, Australia
- Dates – June 23–July 20, 2024
- Max Enrollment – 20
- Prerequisites – No
- Career Area – Animal and Vet Science
Interns will gain first-hand experience in wildlife handling and care at Wildlife Habitat, a wildlife conservation center in Port Douglas, Australia and participate in a zoo internship led by zookeepers. The wildlife component of the internship includes two weeks of hands-on training led by a Loop Abroad veterinarian to enhance the depth of your experience. You will also have a chance to work with Australian zookeeping staff while getting hands-on, up-close experience with wildlife such as kangaroos, koalas, echidnas, birds and reptiles during two weeks at the zoo. Topics such as conservation, animal nutrition, welfare in captivity, ethograms and enrichments, anatomy and physiology of Australian species, proper handling, physical exams, and zoo management will also be covered. As a note, this program is not targeted at pre-veterinary students and does not guarantee pre-veterinary experience.
Apart from work for the internship, you will also engage in an online course facilitated by a UC Davis faculty. The online coursework provides an opportunity for meaningful reflection during the program. You will spend approximately 35-40 hours per week at your internship and another two hours per week for the online course.
Program provided in partnership with Loop Abroad.
- Learn more about the diversity of Australian wildlife.
- Get first-hand experience handling animals, such as kangaroos, koalas, echidnas and more.
- Discover the anatomy, behavior, and care needs of Australian animals from a zoo vet perspective.
- Open to students from all majors.
- Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine in Thailand (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Animal and Vet Science Internships (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Sustainable Animal Production Down Under (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Science
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities