Belize—Animal Science in the Tropics
Gain hands-on animal experience in Belize, a country known for its animal diversity and ecological progressiveness. A veterinarian will teach you examination techniques at working ranches and farms (horse, sheep, cattle and pigs) and share information about animal agriculture in Belize. You will also gain working knowledge of the husbandry, and health issues confronting farm animals such as horses, sheep, pigs and cattle (beef and dairy) in Belize. Basic veterinary care such as physical examination and basic suture technique will be taught and more advanced veterinary care such as preventive medicine, reproductive management, medicine and surgery will be observed.
The first two weeks include an intensive course in large animal veterinary medicine with lectures, field assessments, written assignments, presentations, and a full course assessment at the end of week 2. Weeks 3 and 4 include of immersive field rotations with visits to local farms, government agencies and laboratories. This program includes 35-40 internship hours per week (both veterinary experience and animal experience hours).
- Work hands-on with a head veterinarian in Belize to build your knowledge and skills in a cross-cultural context.
- Learn basic anatomy and physiology of large farm animals and become familiar with livestock terminology and general husbandry.
- Field opportunities may include a working horse ranch and breeding facility, a working sheep farm focusing on genetic breeding, and cattle (dairy and beef) and pig farms.
- Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine Internship in Australia
- Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine Internship in Thailand
- Other Programs in Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Science
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities