Ag Science and Sustainability Internships in Costa Rica
Gain hands-on, career-focused work experiences in multiple areas of sustainable and tropical agriculture at EARTH University, a safe, sustainable, 8,340-acre University in the heart of the tropical Costa Rican rainforest. Following EARTH´s educational model and methodology of learning by doing, you will work on EARTH´s academic farms collaborating directly with farm workers and EARTH students, under supervision of an EARTH faculty member as you do 2-week rotations in peri-urban agriculture, tropical crops, and organic agriculture. Students will end the program having gained a deeper understanding of agricultural and sustainability practices, enhanced communication and problem-solving skills and the confidence to embrace cultural differences. Beginning intermediate Spanish proficiency is required to help facilitate communication with the farm workers and students.
- Open to students in any major! Great for those who have an interest in sustainable agriculture, tropical agriculture, landscape architecture, sustainability, agribusiness and more.
- Learn what it takes to implement sustainability practices while living in one of the world’s leading countries for sustainable development.
- Enjoy a truly multi-cultural experience as you work alongside EARTH students from Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean.
What Students Are Saying
- “Overall my internship experience allowed me to grow as a person, meet people from around the world, and learn more about sustainable agricultural and environmental practices that I can apply in the future.”
- “This was an awesome experience and I had so much fun exploring Costa Rica. Personally, I found the experience rewarding.”
- “Beyond providing me with hands-on experience on sustainable agriculture, I learned a lot about how to travel safely and make the most of my time in another country.”
- Environmental Justice in Indigenous Ecuador (Summer Abroad)
- Science and Society in the Middle East (Summer Abroad)
- GIS in the Land of the Thunder Dragon (Summer Abroad)
- Other programs in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems
- Other Programs in Plant Sciences