Wildlife, Conservation, and Veterinary Medicine
Wildlife Rescue Center San José, Costa Rica
- Dates – TBD
- Max Enrollment – 24
- Prerequisites – No
- Career Area – Animal and Veterinary Science
Gain hands-on experience in Costa Rica where you will split your time in two locations: a wildlife rescue center and small animal shelter and hospital. You will spend half of the program at a wildlife rescue center located on the west coast of Costa Rica that rehabilitates, reintroduces, and cares for animals who are victims of wildlife trafficking or who otherwise need care. The other half of the program is based at a small animal shelter and hospital. You will have the opportunity to shadow veterinarians and also learn from the facility staff at each location, while participating in supplementary labs and interactive lectures supporting what you are learning. The program includes a 2-day orientation with a visit to Manuel Antonio National Park.
This program includes a combination of veterinary experience and animal experience hours as well as the chance to work with both small animals and wildlife and exotics. Apart from work for the internship, you will also engage in an online course facilitated by a UC Davis faculty. The online coursework provides an opportunity for meaningful reflection during the program. You will spend approximately 35-40 hours per week at your internship and another two hours per week for the online course.
Program provided in partnership with Loop Abroad.
- Learn the basics of husbandry while caring for sloths, kinkajous, monkeys, parrots and other Costa Rican animals.
- Perform diagnostic testing/procedures such as coprological examinations and necropsies.
- Students will be based in San José.
- Includes a 2-day orientation with a visit to Manuel Antonio National Park, a world-famous beach.
- Open to students from all majors.
- Large Animal Science in the Caribbean (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Animal and Vet Science Summer Abroad Internships
- One Health Uganda (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in Wildlife, Fish and Conservation Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Biology
- Other Programs in Animal Science
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities