This series encourages graduate students and postdocs to consider how their research and career aspirations position them to respond to global challenges. Participants will be provided insights from mid- and late-career professionals on how to improve networking and leadership skills for success in intercultural work environments, whether in the public, private, or academic sectors.
Participants have the opportunity to connect and network with people in leadership positions, from various backgrounds and different fields. Additionally, participants receive valuable insights into both academia and industry, with tips on how to translate skill sets, transition into different positions, and take advantage of professional development opportunities. Please note this is not a for-credit course.
How do I sign up?
There are five seminar sessions offered, across the spring quarter; participants must attend a minimum of four seminars to receive the certificate. 2024 registration information will be available soon.
Global Affairs Career Enhancement Certificate: Exploring DEI to Help Create an Inclusive Workplace:
- What is Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) and Why Do We Talk About It?
- Identify core DEI concepts, definitions and their importance in job searching, the workplace and daily life.
- Intercultural Communication
- To increase awareness of how differences in communication styles and cultural values affect our interactions with one another; to increase our competence in communicating effectively and appropriately in cross cultural interactions.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Global Policymaking
- Recognize and contrast differences in DEI vocabulary used in the U.S. and in global contexts, using the UN Sustainable Development Goals and human rights as frameworks.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Global Leadership
- Recognize core intercultural skills desired by employers and how to continue one’s intercultural learning to become a more effective leader in an interconnected and global environment.
- Importance of Writing a Diversity Statement
- Identify important aspects of diversity statements and service in academia and the private sector; compose and edit own diversity statement.