Microbiology in Europe's Capital—Brussels
On this Summer Abroad program, you can:
- Earn 8 quarter units in 4 weeks.
- Enroll in UC Davis courses to fulfill degree, major, minor, or GE requirements as listed in the General Catalog.
- Experience academic coursework enriched by both the program’s location(s) and activities.
Note to Non-UC Davis Students:
- Students from other campuses should consult with their home campus to determine whether courses may be used to fulfill their specific academic requirements.
- Semester students who will apply for Summer Financial Aid can get an additional unit to meet unit minimums for financial aid eligibility. Please contact Summer Abroad for additional information.
The above syllabus is representative of this program. The instructor provides a term-specific program syllabus to enrolled students. The program syllabus and schedule, including the daily itinerary and planned activities, are subject to change at the discretion of the instructor.
The course will be structured as an informal 2-hour lecture-discussion Monday - Thursday. Your classroom experience will be enhanced by a variety of required field trips which will include short afternoon outings and several all-day Friday trips to nearby cities.
You will enroll in the course set below. Auditing is not an option. UC Davis programs are academic programs so participants should expect a substantial amount of course work.
- Microbiology (MIC) 102. Introductory Microbiology (3 units)
- Essentials of microbial biology, emphasizing phylogeny, physiology, genetics, ecology, and pathogenesis. Interactions with other microbes, humans, and the biosphere. Uses of microbes in agriculture and biotechnology. May be taught abroad. Not open for credit to students who have completed MIC 101 or MIC 104. GE credit: QL, SE, SL.
- Microbiology (MIC) 198. Directed Group Study (5 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
- This course involves participation on excursions and tours as well as attendance to guest lectures. Students are often asked to write reflective pieces. Assignment topics vary by program.
Along with the general eligibility requirements, Study Abroad will be enforcing the completion of the following prerequisites. For non-UC Davis students, the equivalent at your campus:
BIS 002A—Introduction to Biology: Essentials of Life on Earth (5)
Lecture—3 hour(s); Discussion—2 hour(s). Essentials of life including sources and use of energy, information storage, responsiveness to natural selection and cellularity. Origin of life and influence of living things on the chemistry of the Earth. May be taught abroad. Not open for credit to students who have completed BIS 001A with a grade of C- or better. GE credit: SE. Effective: 2013 Winter Quarter.
CHE 002B—General Chemistry (5)
Lecture—3 hour(s); Discussion/Laboratory—4 hour(s). Prerequisite(s): CHE 002A C- or better or CHE 002AH C- or better. Continuation of CHE 002A. Condensed phases and intermolecular forces, chemical thermodynamics, chemical equilibria, acids and bases, solubility. Laboratory experiments in thermochemistry, equilibria, and quantitative analysis using volumetric methods. Not open for credit to students who have taken CHE 002BH. GE credit: QL, SE, SL. Effective: 2016 Fall Quarter.
- UC Davis students: Prerequisites can only be waived by the instructor—please contact the instructor if you wish to discuss this option. Please note that you will be required to submit proof of prerequisites waived when submitting your enrollment.
- Non-UC Davis students: Prerequisites can only be waived by the instructor—please contact the instructor if you wish to discuss this option. Please note that you will be required to submit proof of prerequisites waived when submitting your enrollment. If you plan to take these courses to satisfy a requirement at your home campus, please meet with your academic advisor to make sure waiving the prerequisites does not impact that requirement.
- Failure to complete unwaived prerequisites prior to program departure can result in administrative withdrawal and fees owed accordingly.