Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Arrive Date: June 27, 2020 End Date: July 25, 2020
The supernatural figures largely in Scotland’s literature and culture. Scottish ballads are filled with stories of strange creatures and weird doings. Scottish castles are filled with ghosts and spirits. Witches wander through Shakespeare’s Macbeth and the poetry of Robert Burns. There is a Scottish Frankenstein. Jekyll becomes Hyde. And the devil lurks everywhere. Scottish Tales will study the literature, films, and culture of Scotland, examining its supernatural component from the earliest ballads to contemporary cinema. Set in Edinburgh, one of Europe’s most beautiful cities, the program will include visits to castles, tours of the city, a ghost walk at night, a magic show, and a field trip to Glasgow. We will also spend two nights in the Scottish Highlands and take a cruise on Loch Ness, where rumor has it a creature prowls.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Angela McNutt
English (ENL) 163. Literary Study in the British Isles (4 units)
English (ENL) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
- The housing for this program is located close to many of Edinburgh’s most famous attractions—the castle, the Royal Mile, and the New Town.
- Edinburgh is very easy to get around in and has lots of great museums, galleries, restaurants, and cafes.
- The reading and film for this course are fun; you’ll also really like the various guest speakers.
- Field trips include a three-day tour of the Scottish Highlands—Isle of Skye, Loch Ness— and a day trip to Glasgow.
- Celtic Connections—Ireland, France, Spain (Summer Abroad)
- Oxford—Portal to Fantasy (Summer Abroad)
- Americans in Paris (Summer Abroad)
- The Grand Tour (Summer Abroad)
- Writers in Greece (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in English Studies
- Other Summer Programs in Europe