Oxford on Film
Oxford, United Kingdom
- Dates – June 29–July 27, 2024
- Max Enrollment – 25
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – Yes
- Academic Area – University Writing Program
Oxford is famed for its writers, like Tolkien, Lewis and Carroll, in addition to canonic British mystery series, such as Endeavour, Lewis and Inspector Morse. While we explore its history of magic, fantasy and intrigue, we’ll also walk in the footsteps of contemporary filmmakers who use Oxford as their canvas. During class, we’ll welcome a British film director for a guest lecture and if we’re lucky, we may spot Philip Pullman at the local coffee shop. You’ll fulfill the Upper Division Writing Requirement, by taking Writing in Film Studies, while standing where Harry Potter first met Malfoy, walking along the same river Diana punted on in The Discovery of Witches, enjoying the view from the bridge on which Jamie defended his wife’s honor in Outlander and avoiding unwanted time travel at Stonehenge.
- Students will be able to fulfill the UC Davis Upper Division Writing Requirement.
- We’ll be going to Stonehenge and taking a guided tour!
- We’ll tour The Wilton House, where Outlander, The Crown, Bridgerton, Pride & Prejudice, and more were filmed.
- We’ll be studying film and television shot in Oxford.
- We’ll see a film together in the local theatre, explore the Oxford Botanic Garden and Arboretum and experience a guided tour of this ancient university town.