Oxford—Portal to Fantasy
Oxford, United Kingdom
- Dates – June 25–July 23, 2022
- Max Enrollment – 25
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – No
- Academic Area – English
Ever since Alice fell down the rabbit-hole on the grounds of Christ Church College, Oxford has been at the center of modern fantasy literature. Oxford was home not only to Lewis Carroll, but also to C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Kenneth Grahame, Diana Wynne Jones, and Philip Pullman. Even J.K. Rowling is rolled up in the Oxford mythos. We will read novels from each of these authors, considering how place and era influence the literary imagination. We will discuss how these fantasies have themselves shaped the modern imagination, in ways both good and questionable. Outside of the classroom we will travel Oxford and environs by foot, long boat, bus, and punt, taking in the history and beauty of this ancient university town.
- Stay in a private room in 16th century Jesus College, in the heart of Oxford.
- Discover the inspirations for Wonderland, the Shire, Narnia, and Lyra’s Alternate Oxford.
- Enjoy a literary tour, a sunset cruise, a private tour of Stonehenge Inner Circle, a tour of Salisbury Cathedral, and high tea.
- Engage in rousing debates about some of the genre’s essential literature.
- From Start of Term Feast to End of Term Celebration, have your best month ever.
What Students Are Saying
- “Amy helped better me in analyzing text and in writing, got my creativity side going, encouraged me to be more outspoken.”
- “Amy opened my eyes to the magic in Oxford and gave me a deeper appreciation for fantasy literature. Helped satisfy class for ENL major.”
- “She is fantastic at facilitating discussion, helping you think critically and feeling inspired, excellent isn't even good enough, she is the best.”