GIS in the Land of the Thunder Dragon
Arrive Date: July 19, 2020 End Date: August 16, 2020
Nestled in the Himalaya Mountains between India and China (Tibet), the small Buddhist monarchy of Bhutan awaits you. Join us and learn how to use geographic information systems (GIS) as part of our study abroad program in Bhutan. With a population of about 700,000, Bhutan is a small but culturally rich country. We will be staying at the Royal Thimphu College. Known for measuring progress in terms of the collective happiness of its people (Gross National Happiness) rather than by purely economic standards, Bhutan is also the only “carbon negative” country in the world. With rich biodiversity, 72% forest cover, and elevation gradient from 100 meters to 7,500 meters, Bhutan is an excellent place to learn GIS while experiencing a cultural paradise.
In the News:
- Global Affairs News, "Journeys in Bhutan: from Fulbright Scholar to Study Abroad Leader"
- Her Campus, "A Love Letter to Bhutan"
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 24
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Landscape Architecture (LDA)/Applied Biological Systems Technology (ABT) 150. Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (4 units)
Landscape Architecture (LDA)/Applied Biological Systems Technology (ABT) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
- Learn about and experience Gross National Happiness
- Enjoy college life at 8,000 feet elevation in the Himalaya region
- Enroll in a highly impacted UC Davis course that will benefit students from all majors
- Immerse yourself in a beautiful, peaceful place with warm, friendly residents
- Housing and Urbanism in Barcelona (Summer Abroad)
- Science and Society in the Middle East (Summer Abroad)
- Environmental Justice in Indigenous Ecuador (Summer Abroad)
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in Landscape Architecture
- Other Summer Programs in Asia