Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe
Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland
Arrive Date: July 6, 2020 End Date: August 2, 2020
In this program we will study the plans, systems, and designs for urban sustainability, exploring transit, bike, and pedestrian circulation; renewable energy systems and waste management; economic development and institutional diversity; and urban planning and landscape/open space design. Relying on lectures, field trips, bike tours, guest speakers, design and planning problems, and reading-the-city exercises, the program shows what lessons can be taken from Europe back to U.S. cities. We will visit 8-10 cities—large and small—in 4 countries that have demonstrated a commitment to and success in becoming more sustainable. This includes looking in-depth at various deliberate eco-districts and neighborhoods like Vauban, Rieselfeld, Trekonner, Vestra Hamnen, Sjostad, and Hammarby in places like Stockholm, Copenhagen, Freiburg, Lucerne, and elsewhere.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 26
Program Coordinator: Angela McNutt
Landscape Architecture (LDA) 191. Workshop in Landscape Architecture (4 units)
Environmental Science and Policy (ESP) 173. Land Use and Growth Controls (4 units)
Community and Regional Development (CRD) 153B. International Community Development: Europe (4 units)
Community and Regional Development (CRD) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
Graduate units are available (LDA 297 and LDA 298) per the consent of the instructor.
Prerequisites: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program. See Academics.
- Visit some of the most sustainable and vibrant cities in Europe, seeing them on foot, train and bicycle.
- Learn how European communities have embraced energy efficiency, recycling, renewable energy, car-free transportation, nature areas in the city, alternative housing and urban design.
- Get exposed to otherwise obscured business models such as agricultural and consumer cooperatives.
- Explore 8-10 European cities in 4-5 countries that demonstrate many principles and design strategies for sustainability.
- Housing and Urbanism in Barcelona (Summer Abroad)
- Science and Society in the Middle East (Summer Abroad)
- Perspectives in Global Management (Summer Abroad)
- Design in Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Water Management in a Mega-City (Seminars Abroad)
- Other Programs in Landscape Architecture
- Other Programs in Community and Regional Development
- Other Summer Programs in Europe