Housing and Urbanism in Barcelona
Arrive Date: July 1, 2020 End Date: July 31, 2020
Look up from your tapas and watch the flow of people—neighbors, tourists, artists, and peddlers—as they stroll down the Rambla. They disappear into the metro and resurface in a vibrant plaza or hillside neighborhood, climbing stairs to apartments that tower over this vibrant metropolis. Barcelona, celebrated for its contemporary architecture, urbanism, and landscape, is also a city with strong community identities and a long history of activism. In this class we will explore the city's urban history, housing, and grass-roots activism. With the city as our classroom, we learn through daily field trips, guest lectures, case studies, and conversations at sidewalk cafes.
Taught In: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Angela McNutt
Community and Regional Development (CRD) 153B. International Community Development: Europe (4 units)
Community and Regional Development (CRD) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
Landscape Architecture (LDA) 191. Landscape Architecture Planning & Design Studio (5 units)
Landscape Architecture (LDA) 198. Directed Group Study (3 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
Graduate units are available (CRD 242S and CRD 298) per the consent of the instructor.
- Live in one of the world’s great cities and enjoy its rich history and culture.
- Visit cutting edge projects in urban planning, community design, and housing.
- Experience the Spanish joy of living: long lunches, late dinners, and neighborhood fiestas.
- Stay in the bohemian neighborhood of Gràcia, in the heart of Barcelona.
- Explore the nearby Pyrenees Mountains, the Costa Brava, or the Balaeric Islands.
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Summer Abroad)
- GIS in the Land of the Thunder Dragon (Summer Abroad)
- Design in Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Perspectives in Global Management (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in Community and Regional Development
- Other Programs in Landscape Architecture
- Other Summer Programs in Europe