Tokyo and Kyoto, Japan
Arrive Date: June 22, 2020 End Date: July 21, 2020
Japan is a fascinating country with a rich design culture. We will explore Japanese modern life in many wards of Tokyo and consume the history of ramen and old candy packaging while eating Japanese noodles in a replica of old Tokyo town. We will delve into the old world of wooden temples, the serenity of the bamboo forest, and other moments of austerity in and around Kyoto. We will immerse ourselves in Japan’s wealth of culture through multiple, conceptually linked projects focusing on the fundamental choices designers make in translating concepts into effective graphic form through a design process rooted in research and initial concepts and extending to project prototypes. There will be generous amounts of free time to explore and taste all the richness of Japanese culture.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Sarah Wiens
Design (DES) 116. Visual Communication: Graphic Design Studio (4 units)
Design (DES) 151. Type in Motion (4 units)
Design (DES) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
- Explore the world’s largest wooden building and climb through Buddha’s nostril of enlightenment.
- Learn the process of making ice cream and see it packaged while touring a Japanese factory.
- Taste and experience the history of the Japanese aesthetic through a unique ramen museum.
- Visit the rich castles, temples, museums and old towns that Japan has to offer.
- Experience the soothing rejuvenation of a cup of tea at the hedgehog or cat cafe.
- Design in Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Global Fashion in China (Summer Abroad)
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Business & Communication Internships in the Czech Republic (Summer Abroad Internship)
- Business & Communication Internships in Hong Kong (Summer Abroad Internship)
- Business & Communication Internships in Japan (Summer Abroad Internship)
- Business & Communication Internships in New Zealand (Summer Abroad Internship)
- Other Programs in Design
- Other Summer Programs in Asia