Japan is a fascinating country with a rich design culture. We will explore Japanese modern life in many wards of Tokyo and consume the history of ramen and old candy packaging while eating Japanese noodles in an old Tokyo town replica. We will also delve into the old world of wooden temples, the serenity of the bamboo forest, and enjoy other moments of austerity in and around Kyoto. Prepare to immerse yourself in the wealth of culture that Japan has to offer through multiple, conceptually linked projects focusing on the fundamental choices designers make in translating concepts into effective graphic form through a design process that is rooted in research and initial concepts to project prototypes. There will be generous amounts of free time to explore and taste the vast wealth of culture that Japan has to offer.
- Explore the world’s largest wooden building and climb through Buddha’s nostril of enlightenment.
- Learn the process of making ice cream and see it packaged while touring a Japanese factory.
- Taste and experience the history of the Japanese aesthetic through a unique ramen museum.
- Visit the rich castles, temples, museums and old towns that Japan has to offer.
- Experience the soothing rejuvenation of a cup of tea at the hedgehog or cat cafe.