Design in Britain
York, Edinburgh, London, United Kingdom
- Dates – July 2–30, 2022
- Max Enrollment – 32
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – No
- Academic Area – Design
Britain is steeped in history and bustles with contemporary culture—the ultimate museum without walls with over 1000 years of influential art, architecture, and design. Starting in the ancient English city of York, this program travels to the vibrant Scottish city Edinburgh and ends at the creative capitol London. These contrasting cities represent a cultural design slice through the heart of the British Isles. Creative design projects focus on multi-sensory products and experiences for public spaces, and the history and evolution of modern British design expression from the iconic Mini Cooper to the mini skirt. Additional excursions include famous historical and contemporary design sites in Liverpool, Glasgow and Brighton, renowned professional design studios, world-class design venues, the Victoria & Albert Museum, and London’s Design Museum.
- Experience living in the heart of three amazing cities: York, Edinburgh and London.
- Go behind-the-scenes at world-class design related museums and cultural attractions.
- Enjoy organized excursions to the vibrant cities of Leeds, Whitby, Liverpool, Glasgow and Brighton.
- Participate in creative projects with leading professional designers in their studios.
- Study and meet students at London's prestigious Central St. Martins School of Art and Design.
What Students are Saying
- "The most rewarding aspect of my experience were the projects. Working with design studios made it feel more real to me. It helped me grasp the concept of what I will be doing in the future. I also felt very proud once I finished the 200 page visual journal. This whole experience made me feel more confident in my design skills and artistic ability!"
- "I made great friends got to talk to peers about their plans on what they will do with their major."
- "It is one thing to learn about these things in a classroom (many places that we visited I have learned about in class) but it is a whole different, amazing experience to be there in person."
- Design Japan (Summer Abroad)
- Internships and Culture in London (Quarter Abroad)
- Summer Abroad Internships in Design and Fashion
- Other Programs in Design
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities