Design in Europe
York, Edinburgh, and London, United Kingdom; Utrecht, Netherlands
Arrive Date: June 20, 2020 End Date: July 18, 2020
Great Britain and the Netherlands are two European countries that are unsurpassed when it comes to innovative and influential art, architecture, and design. Starting in the ancient English city of York, this program will travel to the vibrant Scottish city of Edinburgh, the creative capitol London, and then to the Dutch cities of Utrecht and Amsterdam. Creative projects will focus on the design of multi-sensory exhibitions and experiences for public spaces, and the evolution of European design and the international style. Excursions include visiting famous historical and contemporary design sites in Glasgow and Rotterdam, renowned professional design studios, and world-class design venues—the Victoria and Albert Museum, London’s Design Museum, the Stedelijk Museum, and the Rietveld Schröder House.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 32
Program Coordinator: Jennifer Moylan
Design (DES) 187. Narrative Environments (4 units)
Design (DES) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP)
- Experience living in the heart of four amazing European cities: York, Edinburgh, London, and Utrecht.
- Participate in behind-the-scenes visits to world-class design related museums and cultural attractions.
- Enjoy organized excursions to the vibrant cities of Leeds, Whitby, Glasgow, Amsterdam, and Rotterdam.
- Participate in creative projects with leading professional designers in their studios.
- Study at other design schools including London's prestigious Central St. Martins School of Design.
- Design Japan (Summer Abroad)
- Global Fashion in China (Summer Abroad)
- World Cinema and the European Film Festival (Summer Abroad)
- Sustainable Cities of Northern Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Other Programs in Design
- Other Summer Programs in Europe