Summer Abroad Internships Passport & Health Clearance
If you do NOT have a passport:
Please apply for a passport now. Due to delayed passport processing times and timeline requirements for Summer Abroad Internships programs, we highly recommend expediting your passport application. You are required to upload your valid passport copy to your UC Davis Study Abroad Account by March 8, 2024. For more information on obtaining a passport, please visit the U.S. State Department website or UC Davis ARC Business Center.
If you already have a passport:
When submitting your enrollment please include the following:
- A photocopy of your valid passport. Your passport must remain valid for six (6) months after the day you plan to return from the program.
- Please renew your passport now if it will not be valid six (6) months after your return date. For more information on obtaining a passport, please visit the U.S. State Department website or UC Davis ARC Business Center.
Important Note on the "X" Gender Passport Option
On April 11, 2022, the United States joined a growing list of countries that allow for a third gender option ("X") in passports. Because most countries continue to offer only binary options for identifying sex and the "X" gender option remains unknown to many border control agents and passport screeners, students traveling with an "X" gender option on their passport may encounter issues if their host country does not recognize this option. If you plan to travel with an "X" gender option on your passport, please contact our office so we can advise on next steps based on your host country's recognition of this option and provide other resources such as the U.S. Department of State's travel guidance for members of the LGBTQIA+ community.
All students enrolling in a UC Davis Summer Abroad Internships program must complete the Health Clearance process. You will need to submit the forms indicated below soon after you are enrolled in your program.
Because getting a health clearance can take time, students are encouraged to begin the process as soon as they have determined their destination. Health clearances are valid for one year after the form is signed and must remain valid through the end date of your program. Please follow the instructions below to complete the health clearance process for your program.
For information on immunization requirements, please go to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s website. Be sure to discuss any immunizations you may need with your doctor as well as details regarding your program activities, such as working with or near animals or in a health care setting.
Option 1: Via UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services (UC Davis Students ONLY)
All UC Davis students have the option of using Student Health and Counseling Services to obtain a health clearance.*
If you go through UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services, you are required to complete one clearance for each program you plan on enrolling in. If you submit two Health-e-Messaging questionnaires within a span of three months, you will not be charged for your second clearance. After three months and/or two programs, you will be charged for additional clearances. If you are planning to go to more than one travel clinic country (see below), you will need to attend one Travel Clinic appointment for each travel clinic country.
- Click here to see the online steps...
1. Log into Health-e-Messaging through the Student Health and Counseling Services website using your UC Davis login ID and Kerberos passphrase.
2. Enter your UC Davis Student ID number.
3. Click "Messages" on the Health-e-Messaging homepage
4. Click "New Message" near the top of the Messages page.
5. Select “Student Health Services (Medical Services)” and click “Continue."
6. Select "Travel Clearance" and click "Continue."
7. Respond to Travel Clinic Country question and click "Continue."
If yes, answer whether or not you have completed a Travel Clinic appointment in the last 30 days and click "Continue."
If no, continue answering questions below.
8. Select "UC Davis Faculty-led Programs" and click "Continue."
9. Follow the instructions to complete the Travel Abroad Health Screening Questionnaire.
10. Follow the instructions based on the country you will be traveling to (Travel Clinic Country OR Non-Travel Clinic Country):
If you are traveling to a Travel Clinic Country:
You will receive a message informing you that Student Health and Counseling Services will contact you to schedule an in-person Travel Clinic appointment. Note: You will be required to upload your final Health Clearance to your post-enrollment checklist in your Study Abroad Account after your in-person Travel Clinic appointment.
If you are traveling to a Non-Travel Clinic Country:
You will immediately receive a message letting you know that your Travel Abroad Health Screening Questionnaire has been received but not processed yet - please do NOT submit this initial email with your enrollment.
Within two weeks of submitting your Travel Abroad Health Screening Questionnaire you will receive an email via Health-e-Messaging confirming that your information has been reviewed and you have been cleared for travel - this is your health clearance and what you need to upload to your post-enrollment checklist in your Study Abroad Account. Upload a PDF copy of the entire message, including the physician's statement of clearance as well as your Travel Abroad Health Screening Questionnaire answers below.
*If you waived UC SHIP insurance by providing proof of private health insurance, you will be charged the full cost of any recommended vaccinations or travel medications; therefore, you may want to seek these services from your primary care physician.
- Instructions for Health Clearance Upload from UC Davis “Health-e-Messaging”
1. View your Health Clearance (the SECOND message you receive*).
2. Click the print button in the right-hand corner of the Health-e-Messaging system.
3. Select destination as "save as PDF."
4. Select a location to save your health clearance.
5. For "File name" enter the following pattern: “Last name_First Name_HealthClearance.”
6. For "Save as type" select "PDF" from the dropdown option.
7. Click “Save.”
8. Upload your health clearance to your enrollment.
Option 2: Via Private Health Care Provider or Home Campus Health Center
UC Davis Students
If you are a UC Davis student with private health insurance (i.e. you submitted a UC SHIP waiver and receive health insurance from a private health care provider), you may choose to see your physician to complete the Health Clearance process. To do this, see instructions for Non-UC Davis students below.
Non-UC Davis Students
If you are a non-UC Davis student, you may see your private physician or your home campus health center to complete the health clearance process. In order to do this, please download and print the Health Clearance Form. Fill out the student section of the form and take it with you to your appointment. Your physician will review the information with you, talk to you about travel health issues, provide you with any recommended immunizations for your destination and clear you for travel by signing the last page of the Health Clearance Form. It is your responsibility to upload this form to your Study Abroad Account after you submit your enrollment.