API Innovation Lab
Start Date: June 1, 2021 End Date: August 20, 2021
Please note: The first week of the Innovation Lab conflicts with UC Davis finals week, but you can still participate! The first week of the program is just orientation and asynchronous modules you can complete on your own time to get caught up.
API’s Innovation Lab offers students the opportunity to work with a team of 4-6 peers to develop innovative business solutions to global challenges while building essential skills of cross-cultural teamwork and collaboration, concept design, and execution. The lab is designed to leverage the UN Global Goals as a blueprint for understanding global problems that need solving, like poverty, gender equality, and climate action—among many others—for a healthier and happier world. Student work will result in a pitch deck and investment proposal of a viable business model that will be presented in a virtual boardroom as part of the Global Innovation Pitch Competition.
Industry Mentors will support students through creative ideation, help position a unique value proposition in the market, and provide real-world feedback on the pitch.
API Coaches will keep student solutions global, with cultural insight to guide development of concept, enhance impact, and maximize global reach.
Undergraduate and graduate students from any academic discipline who are interested in hands-on practical learning to solve real world challenges.
- Community-building activities and cultural resources in a digital learning workspace.
- Learners will earn a stack of digital badges that certifies meaningful engagement with the outcomes of the API Innovation Lab to enhance their LinkedIn profiles, e-portfolios, personal websites and digital resumes, and more.
- Access to API alumni network & API Ambassador Program.
- Career readiness materials and support, including how to reflect this experience on a resume and at job interviews.
- Live events featuring keynote speakers, engaging cultural learning activities, global networking and more.
Program Cost and Funding
$1,200, paid directly to API.
Partial-to-full funding for this program is available through the UC Davis Global Learning Hub. The funding application asks the following prompt: Please describe how the program you have chosen is related to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals (500 word max). It also asks to indicate Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from FAFSA, if applicable. Please note, you must also register/apply through the program-specific application by application deadline (see: below section).
Application and Deadline
- Funding Application Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
- Program Application Instructions: It is not necessary to apply for this program before the funding deadline. An application link for API Innovation Lab will be sent to all students who receive funding.
- Program Application Deadline: May 13, 2021, 11:59 p.m.