Header Image, Study Abroad in Ecological Management and Restoration

Campus Update:  UC Davis will continue remote operations through January 28, 2022. Read Chancellor May's message (1/6/22). The Global Learning Hub is currently offering remote advisingMore information.
COVID-19Updates and resources.

Independent Leave Process

Fall, Winter, Spring or Year-long Independent Study Abroad Programs

In order to participate in an independent study abroad program during the regular academic terms of Fall, Winter or Spring quarters (or a combination of any of these terms for semester-length programs), you must apply for the “Independent Study Abroad Leave."

By applying for Independent Leave, you can:

  • Retain your UC Davis student status, email, PASS time etc.

Summer Programs

Many students participate in non-UC study abroad programs during the summer. Filing for the “Independent Study Abroad Leave” is not necessary or allowed. Simply apply directly to the study abroad program provider and enjoy your time abroad!   

After your program is completed, have your official transcript sent directly to Undergraduate Admissions within 30 days upon completion. Undergraduate Admissions will review the official transcript from the host institution (they may need to see your syllabi) and post the transfer units if they are deemed to be acceptable for UC credit.

Financial aid and course pre-approval are not available for Independent Study Abroad programs. If you need to know in advance about coursework transferability and want financial aid, you should participate in a UC Davis or UCEAP program.