Global Fashion in China
Wuxi, Shanghai, and Suzhou, China
Arrive Date: June 21, 2020 End Date: July 18, 2020
We will be stationed in the Yangtze Delta Area—the birthplace of silk and now the hub of modern fashion and textile production in China. With easy access to Shanghai and many other famous historical textile sites, students will explore museums to study Chinese traditional costumes and their influence on global fashion development and will visit the latest apparel and textile facilities where many internationally recognized fashion brands are made. With a flexible schedule, students can shop at textile markets, visit the famous oriental gardens in the region, or relax in town to observe the lifestyles where the deep roots of Chinese civilization meet western influence.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 24
Program Coordinator: Sarah Wiens
Design (DES) 131. Global Fashion and Textile Product Design (4 units)
Design (DES) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, Pass/No Pass grading only)
- Live and study in China to gain a better understanding of Chinese culture.
- Investigate how design is implemented in real world operations at production sites.
- Experience how design thrives at cultural crossroads enhanced by technology.
- Evaluate the social responsibilities of fashion designers in this trend-driven industry.
- Design in Japan (Summer Abroad)
- Design in Europe (Summer Abroad)
- Business and Communications Internships in the Czech Republic (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Business and Communications Internships in Hong Kong (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Business and Communications Internships in Japan (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Business and Communications Internships in New Zealand (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Programs in Design
- Other Programs in Asia