Start Date: June 20, 2022 End Date: August 26, 2022
Widening Circles offers UC Davis students immersive social impact internships around the world (online or in-person) and a shared online learning space via the EdGE platform for ongoing critical dialogue and reflection.
The program is a collaboration between the UC Davis Global Learning Hub and Omprakash, a Seattle-based global non-profit.
Through a global network of social impact organizations, guidance from experienced mentors, multimedia storytelling, and a rigorous curriculum, Widening Circles enables students to explore new pathways for learning, sharing, connecting, and acting with purpose and humility in the face of global inequality and injustice.
This program will be taking place during Summer 2022. We invite you to submit your preliminary registration via Omprakash (free and no commitment) so that you can learn more about the program and begin browsing internship opportunities.
- Social impact internships (online or in person)* with Omprakash Partners — grassroots organizations working in fields including education, health, human rights, migration, sustainability, and social enterprise in over 50 countries around the world.
- Online learning, mentorship, and community — the Omprakash EdGE online learning platform is designed to help you reflect on the complexities of striving for justice across differences of culture and power and to examine your own location within global flows of power and resources.
- Digital storytelling to document your internship experience — each student will create a series of multimedia blog posts that eventually form a Digital Portfolio that they can share with host organizations or others; students will present their work at a live Digital Symposium at the end of the program.
- Peer-to-peer learning, webinars, and periodic discussion groups to support community-building and critical reflection.
- This program meets the requirements to apply for and receive Transcript Notation through the Internship and Career Center.
*Not sure whether you'd prefer to travel or work remotely during Summer 2022? No problem! This program is designed to be flexible and adaptable to your own schedule and preferences. We encourage you to register via Omprakash to get started with browsing internship opportunities as soon as possible, but you won't need to commit to anything until you feel comfortable doing so.
$500 program fee, paid directly to Omprakash. Students who elect an in-person internship will have out-of-pocket expenses, including transportation to/from site and daily estimated costs which is listed for each internship.
All UC Davis students are eligible to apply for full program scholarships. Apply for funding through the Experiential and Intercultural Programs portal. Deadline: May 31. Funding applications reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis.
Omprakash Scholarships: All students can apply for an Omprakash scholarship within the Omprakash Portal.
Registration Information and Deadlines
- Learn about the program and internship options by expressing interest in the Omprakash Portal
- Apply for funding by May 31, 2022
- Complete registration by May 31, 2022
- Apply for an internship by May 31, 2022
- Program start date: June 20, 2022