Widening Circles: Global Social Impact Internships
Start Date: June 15, 2021 End Date: August 15, 2021
We are living in a moment of paradox: the COVID-19 pandemic has hindered our ability to engage with others outside of our usual circles, yet it also reveals overlapping crises of health, inequality, and injustice that demand our collaboration.
Meanwhile, so many of us are looking for connection, inspiration, and pathways for outward movement.
Widening Circles is a new UC Davis Global Learning Hub program that responds to this moment by offering a digital ecosystem of relationships, social impact internship opportunities, curated curriculum, and multimedia storytelling.
During Winter/Spring 2021, we are offering Widening Circles as a unique web-based 'Study Away' program to support UC students who seek global pathways for learning, sharing, connecting, creating, and acting throughout this pandemic and our related crises of health, inequality, and injustice.
- Self-directed community-based exploration of a pressing social issue within their own local context.
- Online internships with Omprakash Partners—grassroots social impact organizations in over 45 countries around the world, working in fields including education, health, human rights, migration, sustainability, and social enterprise.
- Peer-to-peer learning and personalized mentorship within our Omprakash EdGE online learning ecosystem.
- Curriculum 'concentrations' in thematic areas including Education & Social Change, Global Health, Environmental Justice, Disabilities in Global Context, Human Rights, Migration & Borders, and Social Entrepreneurship & Innovation.
- Periodic webinars and group calls to support community-building and critical reflection.
- Digital storytelling to document your ongoing engagement; eventual creation of a digital portfolio to share with loved ones as well as future employers or admissions officers.
- Ongoing dialogue and contemplation about your own location within global flows of power and resources — and the implications of this positionality within the context of COVID-19 and your current life trajectory.
Program Cost and Funding
$500 to be paid directly to Omprakash.
All students are welcome to apply for generous scholarship support from the UC Davis Global Learning Hub and/or from Omprakash. The funding application asks the following prompt: Please describe how the program you have chosen is related to your academic, personal, and/or professional goals (500 word max). It also asks to indicate Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from FAFSA, if applicable. Please note, you must also register/apply through the program-specific application by application deadline (see: below section).
Registration and Deadline
- Funding Application Deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
- Learn more and register. Extended Deadline: May 28, 2021, 11:59 p.m.