Header Image, Campus News

Global Opportunities After Graduation

Continue exploring the world after completing your degree through programs that support continued study, research, or service learning, or through opportunities that enter you into the workforce.

You are encouraged to also review sessions from the Global Career Development Series for more helpful information.

General Guidelines

  • This is not an exhaustive list, but a few starting points to begin research into potential opportunities and programs.
  • Note that some opportunities may require specific citizenship. Review eligibility rules carefully before applying.
  • There are many third-party pay-for-service providers and programs that may require fees, some which may be substantial. Look into these opportunities thoroughly to make sure they are reputable.

U.S. Federal Agency Programs

  • AmeriCorps- AmeriCorps is a national service program, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time (up to a year) to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, fighting poverty, sustaining national parks, preparing for disasters and more. Service members must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.
  • Peace Corps – Peace Corps sends volunteers to serve in over 60 countries around the globe. Volunteers must be American citizens and come from all backgrounds to represent the diversity of America abroad. They work at a grassroots level in six different program areas—education, health, environment, youth development, agriculture and community economic development—for a period of 27 months. For more resources, watch our Peace Corps Webinar Recording.
  • U.S. Fulbright – Opportunity for recent graduates to teach English, study or conduct research abroad. This is a competitive program run by the U.S. Department of State and applicants must be U.S. citizens. 
  • Foreign Student Fulbright – If you are an international student, you may be eligible to apply to Fulbright for graduate study or a position as a foreign language teaching assistant in the U.S.
  • UC Davis has a Prestigious Scholarships office to help you prepare and apply for Fulbright.

Teach Abroad

Work/Intern Abroad

  • Au Pair – You provide live-in childcare and housework for a family in exchange for room, board, and a stipend. There are agencies online that help match potential families and au pairs, but do your research to make sure the agency is reputable. 
  • Working Holiday Visa – Visa that allows you to work while abroad, but you are typically not tied to one position. Eligibility, requirements, and available destination countries depend on your citizenship.
  • Student Travel Companies – Working for a student travel company, you lead a group of high school students on short-term overseas trips. Below are a few organizations: 

Graduate School

Additional Resources

Funding Opportunities

There are a variety of funding opportunities available to support global learning that include awards, fellowships, grants, scholarships, and funds to off-set or fully cover program costs. Details and requirements change frequently so students are advised to contact the funding agency directly for more information. Explore: Scholarships and Funding.

UC Davis Alumni Networks Around the World

UC Davis alumni can be found worldwide— our mission is to help you stay connected. We have active alumni networks in Asia, Europe, Central America, and South America. Whether you are visiting or relocating to a new region, your Cal Aggie Alumni Association (CAAA) can connect you to continuing education opportunities, other alumni in your industry or region, the latest news and or our global travel program! Join your alumni association today to remain connected and take advantage of member benefits!

Contact Information