Life Sciences in Japan
Study biochemistry while living in Japan. We will stay at Ritsumeikan University, Kusatsu. Only 20 minutes from Kyoto, this home base offers many opportunities to explore one of the world’s most treasured cities (UNESCO World Heritage Site). With ample free time, students can visit Osaka or Tokyo, shop, delve into manga, dine in foodie heaven, or relax in an Onsen town. Class excursions to aquariums, science museums, botanical gardens, and fermentation facilities producing beverages or foods demonstrate how Japan presents science-related topics to the public. Excursions also include visiting some of Kyoto’s most famous and beautiful historic sites such as Fushimi Inari and Ryoanji. Students will broaden their intercultural experience by meeting with Ritsumeikan students who also study life sciences and are pursuing similar career goals.
- Live, study, and make friends at Ritsumeikan University.
- Take in the natural beauty and meet the kind people of Japan.
- Experience the wonders of Kyoto: historic sites and modern life.
- Personal travel possibilities to Nara, Osaka, Kobe, Nagoya, Mt Fuji, Tokyo, or elsewhere.
- Enjoy the food: ramen, yakitori, okonomiyaki, sushi, & many other delights.
What Students Are Saying
- “Everything was just amazing! Dr. Morand, his Onsite Coordinator (Amy) and all the people I met are all helpful and superb at what they do.”
- “Dr. Morand is an excellent instructor. He made it clear what we needed to know and actually cared about us. I can tell he wanted us to succeed not only in his class, but in the future.”
- “The instructor was effective during problem solving and office hours where we could ask him questions on the material. He is very approachable, kind, helpful and understanding.”
- Genetics—The Global Language of Biology (Summer Abroad)
- Microbiology in Europe's Capital: Brussels (Summer Abroad)
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- Microbiology Laboratory in the Kingdom of Smiles (Summer Abroad)
- Summer Abroad Internships in Global Health
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities