Life Sciences in Japan
Kusatsu (near Kyoto), Japan
Arrive Date: June 21, 2020 End Date: July 17, 2020
Study biochemistry while living in Japan. We will stay at Ritsumeikan University, Kusatsu. Only 20 minutes from Kyoto, this home base offers many opportunities to explore one of the world’s most treasured cities (UNESCO World Heritage Site). With ample free time, students can visit Osaka or Tokyo, shop, delve into manga, dine in foodie heaven, or relax in an Onsen town. Class excursions to aquariums, science museums, botanical gardens, and fermentation facilities producing beverages or foods demonstrate how Japan presents science-related topics to the public. Excursions also include visiting some of Kyoto’s most famous and beautiful historic sites such as Fushimi Inari and Ryoanji. Students will broaden their intercultural experience by meeting with Ritsumeikan students who also study life sciences and are pursuing similar career goals.
Taught In: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Karen Larke
Biological Sciences (BIS) 102. Structure & Function of Biomolecules (3 units)
Biological Sciences (BIS) 198. Directed Group Study (5 units, P/NP)
Prerequisite Note: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program.
- Live, study, and make friends at Ritsumeikan University.
- Take in the natural beauty and meet the kind people of Japan.
- Experience the wonders of Kyoto: historic sites and modern life.
- Personal travel possibilities to Nara, Osaka, Kobe, Nagoya, Mt Fuji, Tokyo, or elsewhere.
- Enjoy the food: ramen, yakitori, okonomiyaki, sushi, & many other delights.
- Genetics—The Global Language of Biology (Summer Abroad)
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- Statistics for Biological Sciences (Summer Abroad)
- Microbiology Laboratory in the Kingdom of Smiles (Summer Abroad)
- Pediatric Health Internships in Bolivia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Other Summer Programs in Asia