The History of Cancer (NEW)
Explore the history of cancer in San Sebastian, a picturesque beachside town on the Bay of Biscay near Bilbao, the heart of Basque Country in Northern Spain. Through small-group discussions and written reflections, learn about the medical and scientific discoveries relating to cancer prevention and treatment within historical and social contexts, including differences between the US and Spanish healthcare systems. Class excursions to the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, Basque Museum of the History of Medicine and Science, and La Rioja wine country will highlight the abundant cultural offerings of the region. We will experience rich Basque culinary traditions, enjoy breathtaking beaches and landscapes, and meet individuals from this distinctive culture.
- Immerse yourself in Basque Country and learn about one of Europe's oldest peoples.
- Appreciate the natural beauty and landscapes of San Sebastian, from beaches to Monte Igueldo.
- Enjoy spectacular gastronomic offerings ranging from affordable tapas (pintxos) to Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Visit iconic sites including Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and La Rioja, Spain's most famous winemaking region.
- Explore historical, social and cultural perspectives on cancer with engaging School of Medicine faculty.