Latinx Health Internship in Oaxaca
- Dates – September 16–December 2, 2023
- Max Enrollment – 30
- Taught In – English and Spanish
- Prerequisites – Yes
- Academic Area – Chicana/o Studies
This specialized program offers students the opportunity to take UC Davis classes on transnational (US-Mexico) health issues, participate in approximately 180 hours of clinical rotations through internships in hospitals and clinics in Oaxaca, Mexico, and to spend three weeks in public health experiences in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico. The courses offered provide students with cultural competencies that are crucial for effective health care professionals. This program is also designed to provide in-depth clinical experience that will not only lead to greater Spanish fluency, but help participants clarify career goals. Completion of the program is one course shy of fulfilling requirements for a UC Davis minor in Chicana/o Studies. The program is provided in partnership with Child Family Health International (CFHI), an NGO recognized by the United Nations.
- Experience cultural immersion in one of Mexico’s most ethnically diverse states.
- Learn about the leading causes of binational morbidity and mortality among Mexicans.
- Learn about health disparities and differences in health care delivery system in Mexico and U.S.
- Learn effective public health interventions with rural and socioeconomically disadvantaged communities.
- Improve Spanish language skills and increase your cultural humility.
What Students are Saying
- "Dra. Yvette is the best! She is very understanding and is very passionate and knowledgeable of the material taught. I like how she would bring in guest lectures to help us better understand the topics we were reading about and to get more hands-on experience."
- "My favorite trips included Monte Alban, Hierve el Agua, and La Sierra Norte. The staff that transported us to all of these trips were amazing. Always made us feel comfortable and were very easy to talk to, if we had questions."
- "An amazing internship and I learned so much. Internship staff amazing and always there for you. Great placement process and everyone gets a fair chance to shadow."