Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles
- Dates – June 23–July 22, 2023
- Max Enrollment – 30
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – Yes
- Academic Area – Microbiology
This laboratory program will introduce microbiology to students wishing to explore the enchanting Kingdom of Thailand. Hands-on activities complement lecture and lab exercises as we explore the microbiology of Thai food, international health issues and the changing environment. You will examine the microbial diversity of samples obtained from a variety of places, ranging from open-air markets and urban canals to pristine jungles and beaches. Excursions allow discovery of urban and rural locations to examine microbiology at the crossroads of public health, food safety and the environment. As a group, we will travel within Bangkok, to the United Nations’ World Heritage Historic City of Ayutthaya and to islands in the Andaman Sea. The program will be hosted by Assumption University, one of Southeast Asia’s top comprehensive international universities.
- Get class credits for a Life Science laboratory that involves exploring tropical jungles, pristine beaches, local markets, and the mega-city of Bangkok.
- Participate in experiences focused on understanding how humans impact the microbiology of food, human health, and the environment.
- Meet like-minded students, sample fantastic food, experience traditional cultural activities, visit temples and grand palaces, enjoy walking on tropical beaches, and swimming among world-famous underwater reefs.
- Be creative to participate in activities to experience Thai culture, Asian Pop culture or contribute to public health, food production or community development.