Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles
First Offering – Session I
Arrive Date: June 19, 2020 End Date: July 18, 2020
Second Offering – Session II
Arrive Date: August 7, 2020 End Date: September 5, 2020
This laboratory program will introduce microbiology to students wishing to explore the enchanting and exotic Kingdom of Thailand. Hands-on activities complement lecture and lab exercises as we explore the microbiology of Thai food, international health issues, and the changing environment. Students will examine the microbial diversity of samples they obtain from a variety of places, ranging from open-air markets and urban canals to pristine jungles and beaches. Excursions allow discovery of urban and rural locations to examine microbiology at the crossroads of public health, food safety, and the environment. As a group, we will travel within Bangkok, to the United Nations’ World Heritage Historic City of Ayutthaya and to islands in the Andaman Sea. The program will be hosted by Assumption University, one of Southeast Asia’s top comprehensive international universities.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Karen Larke
Microbiology (MIC) 102. Introductory Microbiology (3 units)
Microbiology (MIC) 103L. Introductory Microbiology Laboratory (2 units)
Microbiology (MIC) 198. Directed Group Study of Microbiology (3 units, P/NP)
Food Science and Technology (FST) 104L. Food Microbiology Laboratory (4 units)
Food Science and Technology (FST) 198. Directed Group Study of Food Science (4 units, P/NP)
Prerequisite Note: Summer Abroad will be enforcing prerequisites for this program.
- Get class credits for a Life Science laboratory that involves exploring tropical jungles, pristine beaches, exotic markets, and the mega-city of Bangkok.
- Participate in experiences focused on understanding how humans impact the microbiology of food, human health, and the environment.
- Meet like-minded students, sample fantastic food, experience exotic cultural activities, visit mystical temples and grand palaces, enjoy walking on tropical beaches, and swimming among world-famous underwater reefs.
- Be creative to participate in activities to experience Thai culture, Asian Pop culture or contribute to public health, food production or community development.
- Life Sciences in Japan (Summer Abroad)
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- Statistics for Biological Sciences (Summer Abroad)
- Pediatric Health Internships in Bolivia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Primary Care and Rural Medicine Internships in Bolivia (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Pediatric Care and Reproductive Health Internships in Ghana (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Public Health and Rural/Urban Medicine Internships in India (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Remote Island Medicine Internships in the Philippines (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Healthcare Challenges Internships in South Africa (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Hospital Medicine and Infectious Disease Internships in South Africa (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Holistic Healing Internships in Hawaii (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Immigrant and Refugee Health Internships in California (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Programs in Microbiology
- Other Programs in Food Science and Technology
- Other Summer Programs in Asia