Summer Abroad - Thailand

UC Davis Summer Abroad, Summer Abroad Japan, Microbiology in the Kingdom of Smiles Program, Header Image, Travel Page

Microbiology Lab in the Kingdom of Smiles

Travel Arrangements

Bangkok is the #1 most visited city in the world! This is partially due to its incredible opportunities, as well as the fact that Suvarnabhumi Airport has become a major transit hub for all of Southeast Asia. As such, there is a wealth of information on traveling to and within Thailand.

Notes on Travel to Your Destination

Participants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements to the program site. Instructions for making flight arrangements will be sent to students via email after the program reaches minimum enrollment or within a week after the enrollment deadline. Instructions on how to get to the program accommodations will be available to enrolled students in their Program Specific Guide (PSG). The PSG will available by May through enrolled students’ Summer Abroad Account and sent via email to the program listserv. 

Entry Requirements for U.S. Citizens

A passport with at least 6 months validity past the end date of the program is required for this program.

You will need a tourist visa to enter Thailand. You can receive a 30 day visa upon arrival in Bangkok. As UC Davis Summer Abroad programs are not affiliated with a host university, you will enter as a tourist - and can travel in Thailand for 30 days if you are a U.S. citizen. The State Department website shows the requirements for travel for U.S. citizens.

If you will stay in Thailand longer than 30 days, you will need to apply for a 60 or 90 day tourist visa. Visas typically cost around $80 and grant you 60 or 90 days in the country. Instructions on applying for a visa: Thai Consulate of Los Angeles.

Ultimately, securing a visa is your responsibility. Do not wait until the last minute—the visa should be applied for around two months before departure

Entry Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens

A passport is required for this program.

Non-U.S. citizens should check for visa and other entry requirements by contacting the consulate of their travel destination(s) (see links below). Participants are responsible for obtaining their own visa. Summer Abroad will supply a verification of enrollment or other necessary documents for non-U.S. citizens upon request.

International students in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa interested in studying abroad, should ensure the US visa in their passport has at least 90 days validity remaining whenever they travel abroad. If the US visa expires or is about to expire (even if the I-20 is current), students may be required to apply for the visa to their study abroad country in their home country.

Non-US citizens unable to gain access to the study abroad country will be subject to cancellation fees as shown in the cancellation schedule. For this reason, international students are highly encouraged to research entry to their destination country well in advance, and before enrolling in the program if possible.

Embassies and Consulates