All students are required to obtain a health clearance to participate in UCEAP. Students who do not comply with this requirement may be dismissed. You are responsible for following stipulated deadlines. The health clearance must be completed no later than two months (60 days) before departure. (If you will be studying in Chile, see below.) Different countries may have different requirements for clearance, please find all mentions of your country of participation and follow all instructions.
Health Clearance & Travel Clinic Required from the UC Davis Health and Wellness Center
You must obtain a Health Clearance and participate in a travel clinic at the UC Davis Health & Wellness Center for the following countries:
- South Africa
See instructions below.
Health Clearance Required from Campus -or- Private Physician
You may obtain a health clearance either from the UC Davis Health & Counseling Services or from a private physician for the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- Hong Kong
- Multi-City Programs
- New Zealand
- Norway, Russia
Please follow instructions below to obtain health clearance. It is your responsibility to complete the process by stipulated deadlines, but no later than two months before departure
*The Chilean Consulate General requires that health clearances be completed and dated 30 days, or less, before you apply for your student visa. The Chilean consulate will not process your student visa if the health form is not dated as required. For example, if you apply for a visa on July 1, the health clearance form cannot be dated before June 1; i.e., the date on the Health Clearance form needs to be any day between June 1 and June 30.
Online Travel Course
You are required to complete the UCEAP Online by the designated deadline for the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- South Africa
After you complete the course, you must make an appointment with a travel health provider (with UC Davis Health & Counseling Services OR a private travel clinic specialist) immediately. It is critical to consider vaccine-preventable diseases that may be easily caught during travel, especially if you have a preexisting medical condition. This course does not replace an in-person appointment with a travel health provider for necessary medications and immunizations.
Instructions for students going to UC Davis Health and Wellness Center
All UC Davis students have the option of using the Student Health and Counseling Services.
- Login to the Health-e-Messaging through the Student Health and Counseling Services website using your Login ID and passphrase.
- Enter your UC Davis student ID number.
- Click "Messages" on the Health-e-Messaging homepage
- Click "New Message" near the top of the Messages page.
- Select “Student Health Services” and click “Continue."
- Select "Request Clearance for travel abroad" and click "Continue."
- You will be charged $30 on our student account for the Health Clearance.
- Select "System-wide UCEAP"
- Follow the instructions to complete the remainder of the Health History Questionnaire.
- Follow the instructions below based on the country you will be traveling to (Non-Travel Clinic or Travel Clinic):
If you are traveling to a Travel Clinic Country listed above:
You will receive an email informing you that the Health Center will contact you to schedule an in-person Travel Clinic Appointment. You will be required to submit your final Health Clearance after your in-person appointment.
If you are traveling to a Non-Travel Clinic Country
Within two weeks of submitting your Health History Questionnaire you will receive an email via Health e Messaging confirming that your information has been reviewed and you have been cleared for travel abroad. THIS IS NOT YOUR HEALTH CLEARANCE FORM. You will receive another document via Health e-messaging that is printed on campus letterhead. This is your official health clearance; this is what you will need to send to the UCEAP system-wide office.
Instructions For Students Seeing a Private Physician
If you are seeing a private physician, you will need to print the UCEAP Health Clearance form and UCEAP Confidential Health History Form and follow the detailed instructions on the forms, and follow instructions:
- Make an appointment with your physician
- Complete the UCEAP Confidential Health History form
- Write your name, UC campus, and UCEAP program name, host institution, and term, on the top of the UCEAP Health Clearance Form
- Meet with your physician and have them review the health history form and fill out the rest of the health clearance form. Make sure your physician signs and dates the UCEAP Health Clearance form.
After the Clearance Appointment
After your appointment send the completed, signed original and a copy of the UCEAP Health Clearance form* to:
- University of California Education Abroad Program, System-wide Office
- 6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200
- Goleta, CA 93117-5823
Attn: program name
UCEAP must receive this form at least two months* (60 days) before departure so you can participate in EAP*.
* Except Chile: The General Consulate of Chile requires that health clearances be completed and dated 30 days, or less, before you apply for the student visa. Keep the original of the Health Clearance form for the student visa application.
STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS: If you have any disability, or other chronic systemic condition for which you will be seeking accommodation abroad, you must advise your UC Davis Study Abroad Advisor immediately, so they can notify the UCEAP System-wide Office (UCEAP); you may have your UC campus Disabled Students Office send a memo to UCEAP indicating the nature of your needs. In light of varying circumstances at sites abroad, universities abroad will require this memo with sufficient notice for a request for accommodations to be fairly evaluated. The students must secure funding. Students who disclose needs at the last minute, or who require accommodations that cannot be made available in the host country, may be advised to postpone participation or consider another site. (7/13/17)