Pharmaceutical Chemistry in Taiwan
Arrive Date: April 7, 2020 End Date: June 10, 2020
Spend spring quarter in Taipei studying pharmaceutical chemistry at one of the top 20 research institutions in the world. This specialized program offers students the opportunity to earn UC Davis chemistry units and participate in optional research internships at Academia Sinica. In addition, it allows chemistry majors with the necessary coursework to achieve a degree in pharmaceutical chemistry. The in-depth research experience provides greater exposure to the process of drug discovery and helps students clarify career goals in a myriad of scientific professions. The program will be structured with a fixed curriculum for the quarter. The structure will allow for lectures, discussions, laboratory, and research units.
Taught in: English
Max Enrollment: 30
Program Coordinator: Brianne Holden
Instructors: Dean Tantillo, Neil Schore, Jacquelyn Gervay-Hague
Courses, Eligibility, Prerequisites
- For over a decade UC Davis has been running the Quarter Abroad Pharmaceutical Chemistry program at Academia Sinica.
- UC Davis Pharmaceutical Chemistry majors take three core courses at Academia Sinica—all taught by UC Davis professors.
- Typically, 15-20 UC Davis Pharmaceutical Chemistry majors join the program and about the same number of Academia Sinica international graduate students also take the same courses. In this manner, UC Davis students broaden their exposure to international students.
- Most importantly, UC Davis Pharmaceutical Chemistry majors join research labs at Academia Sinica where they work a minimum of 10 hours a week side by side with leading researchers and have access to state-of-the-art instrumentation.
- Students also earn internship credit and transcript notation for their commitment to this research experience.