Introduction to Winemaking
This program introduces students to winemaking and covers grape types, grape production, fermentation science, wine styles, alcohol and health, sensory evaluation, wine history, and an overview of the major wine regions of the world. We will use the opportunity of being in France to visit many of the major French wine regions, including Alsace, Burgundy, Beaujolais, the northern and southern Rhone Valley, and Provence. These trips will include visits to wine producers as well as special tastings and meals. Additional side trips are scheduled to explore local history or other sites of interest such as olive oil producers, barrel makers, and distilleries.
- Visit some of the famous wine regions of France.
- Learn about the grapes of each region and taste the local wines.
- Learn about the various production techniques by visiting wineries, large and small.
- Learn about the history and geography of wine and winemaking around the world.
- Learn about how wine is used in the context of food in a country where their appropriate juxtaposition is a cultural art form.
What Students Are Saying
- “We have learnt so much about the wine industry and tasting during this month.”
- “The instructor was great because he was very passionate on the subject and was always open to questions. Overall he was an incredible instructor and I highly recommend him to students interested in wine.”
- “Great at explaining particularly good at helping us recall information on trips. Great lecturer, very knowledgeable in the subject, even when confronted with questions outside the scope of class.”