Chiang Mai, Thailand
Arrive Date: August 7, 2020 End Date: September 12, 2020
Spend five weeks as an education intern in Chiang Mai, a beloved destination in the north of Thailand. In traditional Thai temple schools, students will serve as teachers’ assistants, actively participating in teaching, mentoring, homework assistance, lesson prep and, in some cases, after-school activities. Internship placements are customized according to each student’s experiences, career goals, interests, and skills. Outside the classroom, students will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in Thailand’s culture and environment through planned excursions and optional visits to holy temples, street markets, national parks, and more. With its 700-year history and culture, Thailand offers an easygoing way of life, and students will enjoy mountain hikes, visiting hill tribe villages, taking Thai cooking classes, visiting an elephant sanctuary, and experiencing the kindness of the “Land of the Smiles.”
Max Enrollment: 16
Taught in: English (course taught remotely)
Program Coordinator: Karen Larke
Education (EDU) 192. Internship (4 units)
Education (EDU) 198. Directed Group Study: Internship Reflection (2 units, P/NP)
Students will participate in an education internship for approximately 40 hours per week. Internship placements are customized according to each student’s experiences, career goals, interests, and skills. All students will intern in similar traditional Thai temple schools, which offer inexpensive or free education to lower income Thai and ethnic minority groups. Interns can expect to work as teachers’ aides alongside a permanent English teacher or, in some cases, other teachers as needed. Interns will actively participate in teaching, mentoring, homework assistance, classroom and lesson prep, and, in some cases, after-school activities.
- Earn education units while interning as a teacher’s assistant in a traditional Thai temple school that serves under-resourced students.
- Explore the “Land of the Smiles” on group excursions such as visiting an elephant sanctuary, hiking, and Thai cooking classes.
- Experience the laid-back lifestyle and ubiquitous kindness that Thailand is known for.
- Gain work experience and access to career and professional resources.
- Internships and Writing in Dublin (Fall Quarter Abroad)
- Business and Communication Internships in the Czech Republic (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Business and Communication Internships in Hong Kong (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Business and Communication Internships in Japan (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Business and Communication Internships in New Zealand (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Other Programs in Education