Hospital Medicine and Infectious Disease Internships in South Africa
The Global Health Summer Abroad Internship program provides students interested in health the opportunity to gain firsthand clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
Based in Durban, a dynamic metropolitan area of over three-million people, and the heartland of Zulu culture, students will learn about local hospital medicine and infectious disease treatment. Students will join local healthcare teams at a missionary hospital that provides services and treatment for HIV/AIDS patients, and work with a large tertiary teaching hospital in the Surgical and Pediatric wards. Program participants learn about medical education in South Africa by working with local medical residents. Additionally, students will learn about the role of local nonprofit organizations through clinical rotations at a state-of-the-art, comprehensive care center for people affected by HIV/AIDS. This NGO offers ARV’s psycho-social support, substance abuse program, nutrition education, and meal services.
Program provided by Child Family Health International (CFHI), an NGO recognized by the United Nations.
- Exceptional intercultural communication opportunities in an international setting.
- Excellent opportunity to hone and apply concepts learned in classrooms in real-world, global contexts.
- Exciting opportunity to grow professionally and personally.
- Outstanding résumé line item and interview talking point.
- Tremendous opportunity to make cultural, professional, and geographic discoveries.
What Students Are Saying
- "I had an amazing internship experience. I learned so much and met some wonderful people. I felt very supported in Durban. The CFHI coordinators were very involved and approachable, and I know that if I ran into any challenges, they would have been very supportive. The placement process was very easy and went smoothly, as far as I can remember."
- “The most rewarding aspect of my study abroad experience was the rotations that we went on and the doctors, nurses, and patients we got to meet. The rotations informed what I do and do not want to pursue in my career and life, and I learned so much that classrooms alone could never teach me.”
- Latinx Health Internship Program in Oaxaca (Fall Quarter Abroad)
- History of Cancer (Summer Abroad)
- NPB 110A—Molecules to Individuals (Summer Abroad)
- Virtual Summer Internships in Global Health
- Other Global Health Summer Abroad Internships
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities