Writers in Greece
On this Summer Abroad program, you can:
- Earn 8 quarter units in 4 weeks.
- Enroll in UC Davis courses to fulfill degree, major, minor, or GE requirements as listed in the General Catalog.
- Experience academic coursework enriched by both the program’s location(s) and activities.
Note to Non-UC Davis Students:
- Students from other campuses should consult with their home campus to determine whether courses may be used to fulfill their specific academic requirements.
- Semester students who will apply for Summer Financial Aid can get an additional unit to meet unit minimums for financial aid eligibility. Please contact Summer Abroad for additional information.
The above syllabus is representative of this program. The instructor provides a term-specific program syllabus to enrolled students. The program syllabus and schedule, including the daily itinerary and planned activities, are subject to change at the discretion of the instructor.
Unless we are taking a major full-day field trip, class will meet for 3 hours a day Monday through Friday, with 1-2 short breaks. You will be expected to attend class, discuss assigned readings, complete all writing assignments, take the final exam and attend all field trips. All classes will be conducted in our hotels where we have access to a conference room and Wi-Fi. You will be provided a daily schedule that will outline readings, the agenda for each class session, and times for field trips. However, please be prepared for small adjustments.
You will enroll in the course set below. Expand the sections to view course descriptions. Auditing is not an option. UC Davis programs are academic programs so participants should expect a substantial amount of course work.
- University Writing Program (UWP) 101. Advanced Composition (4 units)
- Instruction for students in all disciplines in advanced principles of academic and professional writing. Focus on writing tasks both within and beyond the academy. Lecture/Discussion 3 hour(s), Extensive Writing. Prerequisite(s): UWP 001 C- or better or UWP 001V C- or better or UWP 001Y C- or better or COM 001 C- or better or COM 002 C- or better or COM 003 C- or better or COM 004 C- or better or ENL 003 C- or better or NAS 005 C- or better; and upper division standing. GE credit: AH, WE.
- University Writing Program (UWP) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, pass/no pass grading only)
- This course includes participation on excursions and tours and attendance to guest lectures. Students are often asked to write reflective pieces. Assignment topics vary by program.
Along with the general eligibility requirements, Study Abroad will be enforcing the completion of the following prerequisites. For non-UC Davis students, the equivalent at your campus:
UWP 001 C- or better
or UWP 001V C- or better
or UWP 001Y C- or better
or COM 001 C- or better
or COM 002 C- or better
or COM 003 C- or better
or COM 004 C- or better
or ENL 003 C- or better
or NAS 005 C- or better
and upper division standing
- UC Davis students: Prerequisites cannot be waived. Please contact the instructor if you have any concerns about completing the prerequisites prior to the program start.
- Non-UC Davis students: Prerequisites can only be waived by the instructor—please contact the instructor if you wish to discuss this option. Please note that you will be required to submit proof of prerequisites waived when submitting your enrollment. If you plan to take these courses to satisfy a requirement at your home campus, please meet with your academic advisor to make sure waiving the prerequisites does not impact that requirement.
- Failure to complete unwaived prerequisites prior to program departure can result in administrative withdrawal and fees owed accordingly.