Design in Europe
On this Summer Abroad program, you can:
- Earn 8 quarter units in 4 weeks.
- Enroll in UC Davis courses to fulfill degree, major, minor, or GE requirements as listed in the General Catalog.
- Experience academic coursework enriched by both the program’s location(s) and activities.
Note to Non-UC Davis Students:
- Students from other campuses should consult with their home campus to determine whether courses may be used to fulfill their specific academic requirements.
- Semester students who will apply for Summer Financial Aid can get an additional unit to meet unit minimums for financial aid eligibility. Please contact Summer Abroad for additional information.
The program syllabus and schedule, including the daily itinerary and planned activities, are subject to change at the discretion of the instructor.
This program features fieldtrips and group projects, as well as class time. Please find the daily schedule in the syllabus.
You will enroll in the course set below. Auditing is not an option. UC Davis programs are academic programs so participants should expect a substantial amount of course work.
- Design (DES) 187. Narrative Environments (4 units)
- Studio—4 hour(s); Lecture/Discussion—2 hour(s). Prerequisite(s): (DES 185 or DES 186); (DES 014 or DES 021); DES 001; DES 015; DES 016; or Consent of Instructor. Priority to Design majors. Design of storytelling environments and multi-sensory experiences for cultural, commercial, entertainment and public spaces. Interpretive planning and design for specific exhibit audiences. Manipulation of objects and the communication of complex ideas in the exhibition environment. May be taught abroad. GE credit: AH, VL.
- Design (DES) 198. Directed Group Study (4 units, P/NP grading only)
- This course includes participation on excursions and tours and attendance to guest lectures. Students are often asked to write reflective pieces. Assignment topics vary by program.
No prerequisites are enforced for this program beyond the general eligibility requirements.