Intro to Biological Psychology (NEW)
Psychology is the study of behavior, but underlying all behavior is the biology of the organism. This course is an introduction to the relationship between behavior and evolution, physiology, neurobiology and molecular biology; taking place in beautiful Strasbourg, France. We will examine the relationship of neuroanatomy and physiology to motivation, emotion and mental health, social relationships, and cognition in humans and other animals. We will introduce the field of animal behavior and visit centers that study animal behavior. Nearby to Strasbourg is the small town of Colmar, France, which houses not only a picturesque “Little Venice” district but also a museum in the former home of Auguste Bartholdi, who designed the Statue of Liberty, which we will visit as part of a discussion of creativity. Strasbourg is in the heart of Alsatian wine country and very near the borders of Germany and Switzerland.
- Study the hormonal and neurobiological basis for emotion, mental health, social behavior, creativity, stress, and cognition.
- Learn about the workings of the mind in humans and animals.
- Experience field trips to centers for the study of animal behavior, as well as local museums.
- Explore the winding streets of Strasbourg’s historical city center – the Grande Île (Grand Island).
- Enjoy being in the beautiful setting of France’s Alsace region and picturesque villages.