La Paz, Bolivia
- Dates – August 5–September 9, 2023
- Max Enrollment – 15
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – Yes
- Career Area – Global Health
The Global Health Summer Abroad Internship program provides students interested in health the opportunity to gain firsthand observational clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
In Bolivia, participants will rotate at pediatric clinics and hospitals alongside local Bolivian pediatricians, including the largest children’s hospital in the country, recognized as a major research hospital conducting work to influence national health policy. This hospital provides free care for indigenous and poverty-stricken patients from all over Bolivia. Through daily rounds with local physicians and residents, students will have a unique opportunity to understand medical, clinical and social issues through rotations in wards such as obstetrics, oncology, inpatient, infectious disease, and nephrology.
Program provided by Child Family Health International (CFHI), an NGO recognized by the United Nations.
- Program Coordinator – Aspen Felt
- Instructor – Theresa Walsh
- Provides firsthand observational clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
- Excellent opportunity to hone and apply concepts learned in classrooms in real-world, global contexts.
- Exciting opportunity to grow professionally and personally.
- Outstanding résumé line item and interview talking point.
- Tremendous opportunity to make cultural, professional, and geographic discoveries.
What Students Are Saying
- “Incredible experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world… This greatly added to my understanding and added confidence in myself to be successful in this field.”
- “The internship experience is very valuable because the opportunity to observe the medical environment in another country is not available to many people.”
- “The on-site team is absolutely incredible. They go above and beyond to ensure that everyone is healthy and thriving.”
- Spain—History of Cancer (Summer Abroad)
- Other Global Health Summer Abroad Internships
- Virtual Summer Internships in Social Impact and Public Health
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities