Remote Island Medicine
Manila, Quezon and Romblon, Philippines
- Dates – August 3–September 7, 2024
- Max Enrollment – 10
- Prerequisites – No
- Career Area – Global Health
The Global Health Summer Abroad Internship program provides students interested in health the opportunity to gain firsthand observational clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
Join the Philippines program and learn how resources, medicine, and healthcare services vary between remote islands and the mainland. Learn about the daily healthcare challenges villagers on remote islands face, where hospitals and clinics lack infrastructure, investments, supplies and personnel.
Spend time in the excellent private and public healthcare facilities in the capital city of Manila to learn about the Philippines’ healthcare system and urban health service delivery. Meet local health professionals at the WHO Western Pacific Regional Office Headquarters and the Department of Health and enjoy cultural lectures and excursions. Learn about the daily healthcare challenges faced by “barangays”, or villages, on remote islands in the provinces of Quezon or Romblon. Overall, this program will offer participants a taste of island hospitality with a unique cultural insight while rotating at community level clinics and participating in public health activities.
Program provided by Child Family Health International (CFHI), an NGO recognized by the United Nations.
- Provides observational clinical rotation experience while being immersed in a local community.
- Hone and apply concepts learned in classrooms in real-world, global contexts.
- Opportunity to grow professionally and personally.
- Résumé line item and interview talking point.
- Make cultural, professional, and geographic discoveries.
What Students Are Saying
- “[The] most rewarding part was interacting with local staff, like nurses and doctors, as well as the local community. I learned a lot about the healthcare system and culture of the Philippines through my interactions with these diverse groups.”
- “The most rewarding part has been learning so much about the culture and health care system. I loved connecting with the locals.”
- “I had a wonderful time. The internship completely exceeded my expectations.”
- History of Cancer (Summer Abroad)
- Other Global Health Internships (Summer Abroad Internships)
- Organic Chemistry in Nottingham (Summer Abroad)
- Latinx Health Internships in Oaxaca (Quarter Abroad)
- Social Impact and Public Health Internships (Virtual Summer Internships)
- Other Programs in Biological Sciences
- Search all Global Learning Opportunities